Revit to Max to Octane WorkFlow

Forums: Revit to Max to Octane WorkFlow
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Revit to Max to Octane WorkFlow

Postby Ian.Kidston » Wed May 11, 2011 11:58 pm

Ian.Kidston Wed May 11, 2011 11:58 pm
Hi All,

I am hoping that someone here can assist in figuring out the most efficient workflow methodology for getting a revit model to Octane via Max,

The specific problem I am struggling with is how to deal with separating materials when importing to Max from Revit.

I have attached a screenshot of the output when I run the Octane obj creator. Whilst there are around 400 materials , figure in brackets, which have come across from revit to max, only 2 of those are being exported to the obj file. The only way I have found around this at the moment is to manually assign max materials to each of the object which will form part of the final render. Once Max materials have been assigned, the export is as expected. It is, a total PITA to have to assign materials three times. Once in Revit - then Max - Then Octane for the final tweaks.

Does anyone know of any easy (automated?) way of assigning max materials whilst maintaining the material name or of merging materials from revit into max material database?
Attachments
ScreenHunter_01 May. 12 09.24.jpg
Ian.Kidston
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Revit to Max to Octane WorkFlow

Postby Jaberwocky » Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 am

Jaberwocky Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 am
I don't use Revit.However I do go

AutoCAD > 3D Max > Octane.

I tend to use the following workflow.
Modeling in AutoCAD
Apply UV Mapping and materials in Max
Then Render in Octane.
Ideally I'd like to Model and apply materials in AutoCAD and render straight to Octane.However it's not possible as there's no Obj export facility in AutoCAD at present.

It's just a matter of adjusting to the best workflow within the limits of the software we are using I guess.
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Revit to Max to Octane WorkFlow

Postby archilars » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:36 pm

archilars Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:36 pm
Hi!

Revit Material Export to Max really is a tricky matter - I've been working on this for quite some time now. I guees the only way to is to use the fbx-interface from Revit to Max to get a maxfile with multichanneled material applied on your geometry. However, fbx-files from Revit are really hard to modify, since all material information is to be found in the different subchannels.

I'm working on a script to fix this matter, including some other optimization tools for the Revit-Max-connection. Stay tuned on scriptspot.com!

Cheers, Lars
archilars
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max