Visibility track on animated instances

Forums: Visibility track on animated instances
3D Studio Max Plugin (Export Script Plugins developed by [gk] and KilaD; Integrated Plugin developed by Karba)
Forum rules
Please post only in English in this subforum. For alternate language discussion please go here viewforum.php?f=18

Visibility track on animated instances

Postby Jani » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:16 pm

Jani Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:16 pm
Hi,

I found a problem that needs a bit of a solution:

I've got a bunch of kitchen plates(instances) dropping onto a bunch of tables. Each of them are appearing, using an animated visibility track, in succession. So the problem is as follows: Octane viewport all seems well but a few instances glitching(out of 240 plates 2 or 3 of them seem to have funny/delayed/flickering motion).

Octane animation using render setup results in a mess. Like plates flicking on and off, resetting their animation etc.

Export to ORBX and render in standalone, even bigger mess.

But what bugs me the most is that Octane clearly CAN do this, it's just that it's a bit random in behaviour, and never quite perfect.

I understand I can evade the issue by not using instances - that solves everything altogether, but in a scene where every MB of VRAM counts I'd like to instance where possible.

Please see the scene attached.
Attachments
plates problem.zip
(6.23 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
i9 9920X, 64GB, RTX 2080Ti
Ryzen 1800x, 64GB, 2x RTX 3090
Jani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Visibility track on animated instances

Postby neonZorglub » Wed May 01, 2024 10:53 pm

neonZorglub Wed May 01, 2024 10:53 pm
Jani wrote:Hi,

I found a problem that needs a bit of a solution:

I've got a bunch of kitchen plates(instances) dropping onto a bunch of tables. Each of them are appearing, using an animated visibility track, in succession. So the problem is as follows: Octane viewport all seems well but a few instances glitching(out of 240 plates 2 or 3 of them seem to have funny/delayed/flickering motion).

Octane animation using render setup results in a mess. Like plates flicking on and off, resetting their animation etc.

Export to ORBX and render in standalone, even bigger mess.

But what bugs me the most is that Octane clearly CAN do this, it's just that it's a bit random in behaviour, and never quite perfect.

I understand I can evade the issue by not using instances - that solves everything altogether, but in a scene where every MB of VRAM counts I'd like to instance where possible.

Please see the scene attached.

Hi Jani,
Thank you for reporting this issue, and for the scene.
The visibility change per instance seems to cause problems with the Octane instance system.
I'll investigate further to find a proper fix..

In the meantime, try to disable Preferences / Trouble Shooting / Use same Scatter node for compatible Instances.
That keeps the 3dsMax instances, using a common mesh, but do not try to use the Octane scatter to group those instances in a single node..

Also, for normal rendering with Render Setup, try to set 'Octane Scene Persistency' to 'Clear All nodes on Render', in Support tab / Common Scene Collection Settings
That seems to fix some issues with wrong position / transparency of the plates, caused by incorrect instance state from the last time the Octane viewport was open..

Thanks
neonZorglub
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Visibility track on animated instances

Postby Jani » Tue May 07, 2024 5:48 pm

Jani Tue May 07, 2024 5:48 pm
Thank you Neon.

I'll try that. In the meantime, if you could please have a look at a fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jani
i9 9920X, 64GB, RTX 2080Ti
Ryzen 1800x, 64GB, 2x RTX 3090
Jani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Autodesk 3Ds Max