NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Forums: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]
A forum for discussion, development and support, including subforums for discussion for various plugins for octane render and 3d the relevant animation packages

Anyone found any hacks to get Octane working on newer Macs?

Postby pixelsmack » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:49 pm

pixelsmack Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:49 pm
Only the first gen M1 Macs seem to run it. The 2021+ Max/Pro/Ultra's make Lightwave vanish when it gets to the final "Rendering..." phase.
pixelsmack
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: NEW: Octane X - is finally here! [MEGA FAQ THREAD]

Postby olavo » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:51 pm

olavo Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:51 pm
I have a 6900XT egpu on my 2017 iMac-Pro and get an :8 sec on the Chess-scene (Big Sur and PR11 for now)
olavo

Postby mskmgc » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:26 am

mskmgc Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:26 am
glowstickbaystudios wrote:
This machine is simply a monster when it comes to GPU rendering and I have thought on the M1 Ultra if you care to hear them. Let me know if you do, if not, I won't bore you with my opinion on the future of the 2019 Mac Pro as well as the M-Series Mac Pro releasing this winter and beyond.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts as now that the M1 Ultra Mac Studio is out I’m weighing the pros and cons of getting the 64-core GPU version for C4D and GPU rendering vs just a base M1 Max for look dev combined with running a render node with a bunch of 6900/6800XTs in it (which is probably a lot more cost effective) vs waiting to see what the new Mac Pro brings.

-M
mskmgc

Postby itaki » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:04 pm

itaki Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:04 pm
I'm having problems with Octane X not rendering motion blur. Has anyone else had this problem? I've literally set up the simplest test project 20 times now and can't make it show motion blur at all.

The octane camera has motion blur enabled. Shutter is open and there is an octane tag on a cube moving across the screen. No motion blur. It's kinda driving me crazy.

During my troubleshooting yesterday I got it to produce motion blur once. Not sure what I did and haven't been able to reproduce it.

Octane PR14 with R25, though I tried PR13 with R23 as well. Mac Pro with 3 VII's and a 580X, though I pulled out the 580X just to see if it would make a difference to have all matching cards. Still nothing.

Edit: I had a buddy with a PC send me over a simple test and it renders motion blur in the live viewer fine. However, if I make any new objects and add an object tag by right clicking, going to the drop down and adding an object tag, it does not render motion blur on the object. So what I've figured out is that it's the tag in the drop down. My work around is to just copy his tag to all my objects but still wondering how that tag got messed up. I've reinstalled the plugin and standalone at least 5 times now.
16 core Mac Pro. 32GB. 2 x GTX 690. C4D.
itaki
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glowstickbaystudios » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:10 am

glowstickbaystudios Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:10 am
That's so strange. Motion Blur seems to web working for me, but then again, I'm still in R23. I have R25 but until I finish this next couple of client projects I don't have time to learn the new interface and layouts on the job lol.
glowstickbaystudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:21 am

bepeg4d Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:21 am
Hi itaki,
everything is working as expected here in PR14 R25, with Motion Blur in Live View :roll:

Please make sure that all the Motion Blur options are enabled in Live View menu Option/Interactive Motion Blur:
![](download/file.php?mode=view&id=87377)

ciao,
Beppe
Attachments
36452D06-9779-4FA7-A6DB-C16D6BD29781.jpeg
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby frankmci » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:05 pm

frankmci Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:05 pm
mskmgc wrote:
This machine is simply a monster when it comes to GPU rendering and I have thought on the M1 Ultra if you care to hear them. Let me know if you do, if not, I won't bore you with my opinion on the future of the 2019 Mac Pro as well as the M-Series Mac Pro releasing this winter and beyond.

I would be curious to hear your thoughts as now that the M1 Ultra Mac Studio is out I’m weighing the pros and cons of getting the 64-core GPU version for C4D and GPU rendering vs just a base M1 Max for look dev combined with running a render node with a bunch of 6900/6800XTs in it (which is probably a lot more cost effective) vs waiting to see what the new Mac Pro brings.

-M

We're in a similar position. The ability to integrate the Mac Studio will determine if we stay with Apple workstations (this shop has been mostly Mac based for nearly 30 years) or make the move to Windows. We currently have both dedicated WIndows and Linux render machines on the LAN, so the horsepower of the workstation isn't crucial, as long as it's Network Render compatible with other platforms and GPUs, as it has been so far. I've got a machine I've used for some Octane X testing, but until I know for sure that we'll be going with it, I haven't kept up with development. When the time comes, I'll have a lot of hardware, software, and users at several locations to shift. A move to Mac Studio hardware would be much less of a headache than to Windows!
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby glowstickbaystudios » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:00 pm

glowstickbaystudios Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:00 pm
frankmci wrote:
mskmgc wrote:

-M

We're in a similar position. The ability to integrate the Mac Studio will determine if we stay with Apple workstations (this shop has been mostly Mac based for nearly 30 years) or make the move to Windows. We currently have both dedicated WIndows and Linux render machines on the LAN, so the horsepower of the workstation isn't crucial, as long as it's Network Render compatible with other platforms and GPUs, as it has been so far. I've got a machine I've used for some Octane X testing, but until I know for sure that we'll be going with it, I haven't kept up with development. When the time comes, I'll have a lot of hardware, software, and users at several locations to shift. A move to Mac Studio hardware would be much less of a headache than to Windows!

@mskmgc - My answer is strictly based on one thing alone: Do you have current clients that you cannot serve without a new machine? If you do, then you simply have to dive in now and get the work done, and if your'e going to dive in, it should of course be with the 64-Core GPU. Wouldn't make much of a difference if you're CPU rendering, in which case, the New Mac Studio 64-Core is a handful of seconds faster than my current Mac Pro. But for GPU rendering, if it's required by the client, and it's not insanely heavy, the Mac Studio should be good to go. If however, you are in no immediate need by a client, I would just wait and see what's going to happen this fall. Regardless, I get the feeling we will hear an update at WWDC, and I think Apple must realize the only way to get guys like me to leave my Mac Pro is if they release an M based Mac Pro that is capable of modularity; being expandable in the GPU department has to be the absolute most important thing about this thing, otherwise, it isn't "pro" enough. You'll be stuck upgrading a $20k+ machine almost bi-annually, which is insane. I'm more than happy to drop $10k annually, b--annually on the latest AMD GPU's for my current Mac Pro. And knowing that as long as this thing is up on the site, it will be supported for minimum 3 years after that is great. If Apple continues to sell the current Mac Pro for even 2 more years into 2024, then this machine will be fully supported by maintenance and updates until 2028, and there's no need to update to a new machine until that new machine is capable of the same kind of expandability. In your case though, if you're running with a render node, I would say get the Max and save some money.

@Frankmci - I don't know enough of the compatibility of the Mac Studio just yet to really say anything on it. As far as Octane X goes, If the Apple Silicon version has parity with the Intel Mac version, then it's stable AF and absolutely usable with client work. My last 3 clients, commercials for new medical equipment, a video game, and a sports drink, all had heavy 3D Animation and I did it 100% in Octane X and everything worked perfectly. There was one issue where it would crash during the export phase if I didn't first clear the Octane Viewer cache, but I quickly figured that out and just cleared it before each final render.
glowstickbaystudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby taconuggets » Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:11 am

taconuggets Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:11 am
Before I upgrade to 12.3 Monterey I just want to make sure Octane PR14 works and is stable. Thank you
taconuggets
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:20 am

bepeg4d Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:20 am
Yes, OctaneX PR14 works with macOS 12.3 Monterey, nothing strange to report so far.

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Plugin Discussion/Support