Plugin For Solidworks

Forums: Plugin For Solidworks
A forum for discussion, development and support, including subforums for discussion for various plugins for octane render and 3d the relevant animation packages

Plugin For Solidworks

Postby Geisterfahrer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 pm

Geisterfahrer Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:54 pm
Please consider developing a plugin for solidworks or import a Native solidworks file format. The entry price for a seat of Solidworks is pretty Hefty. To upgrade to the Professional or the Premium Package is even Heavier. Needless to say there is no native rendering option for the entry level user, the ability to use a rendering engine like octane would turn an already powerful software into a super power in the visualization corner of the engineering world. Currently or at least what i am aware of, the only photo real, 3rd party renderer for SW is Maxwell. I think octane could score a great many users were there an Octane plugin or file import option.

Its on my wish list ;)

Geisterfahrer.
Geisterfahrer
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Plugin For Solidworks

Postby Excentric_13073 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:24 pm

Excentric_13073 Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:24 pm
Until that happens, here is a .obj exporter for SolidWorks. There are some bugs with it, but it seems to work OK for me. I still need to set up scenes in a different program like MOI or Blender though.

http://solidsmack.com/resources/free-solidworks-obj-export-macro/
AMD Athlon X2 2.2ghz | 4gb DDR | Geforce 550ti OC | Windows 7x64
Excentric_13073
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Plugin For Solidworks

Postby pixelrush » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:46 pm

pixelrush Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:46 pm
Hi,
I will be doing a bugfix and updating for Blender 2.63/2.64 soon. If there are bugs (presently I am only aware of one) please tell me about them. :roll:
BTW the macro officially lives at the SW forum. https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/54270?tstart=0
Solidsmack only carried it to generate traffic to their site I think.
This macro wont evolve into an addon, at least by my doing, because SW is a poor place to set up your scenes and materials, uvs particularly. Also SW is to be replaced by Catia lite in the near future, and further, it seems likely Octane will move away from using .obj come instances in a few months or so.
i7-3820 @4.3Ghz | 24gb | Win7pro-64
GTS 250 display + 2 x GTX 780 cuda| driver 331.65
Octane v1.55
pixelrush
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Plugin Discussion/Support