Houdini Tesselation Issue

Forums: Houdini Tesselation Issue
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Houdini Tesselation Issue

Postby trigfuller » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:23 am

trigfuller Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:23 am
Hi,

I was trying out Ocatne in Houdini and following along with the documentation, added the octane target, then the octane ROP as instructed.

I then added a sphere and background, and when I started the IPR the sphere was faceted, I did what the manual said and switched on "Render as Tessellated Object" and the sphere was still faceted.

After a lot of clicking settings I eventually fixed it by turning off "Deformation MB" in the motion blur settings of the octane ROP - the sphere was static and not deforming in any way. With that turned off I didn't even need the Render as tesselated obect switch on to get a smooth sphere.

Just wondering why this happened, in case I ever want to use the kind of motion blur.

Houdini 20.625 Octane 23 1 1 (prime on Apple m3 max)
trigfuller

Re: Houdini Tesselation Issue

Postby obesephone » Thu May 09, 2024 2:37 am

obesephone Thu May 09, 2024 2:37 am
This could be due to how Octane handles motion blur in combination with certain geometry types.

When motion blur is enabled, the renderer needs to calculate the motion of objects between frames to create the blur effect. However, if certain settings are not compatible or properly configured, it can lead to unexpected results like faceting on objects.

In your case, turning off "Deformation MB" in the motion blur settings of the Octane ROP resolved the issue. This setting is likely related to how Octane handles motion blur for deforming objects, such as animated characters or objects with changing topology over time.

By disabling "Deformation MB," you essentially told Octane not to consider any deformation (or changes in topology) when calculating motion blur. Since your sphere was static and not deforming, this setting didn't affect its appearance, and you were able to achieve a smooth render without needing to enable "Render as Tessellated Object."
slice masters
If you ever need to use motion blur for deforming objects in the future, you may need to experiment with different settings or perhaps consider adjusting the geometry or animation to ensure compatibility with Octane's motion blur calculations.
obesephone

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion