[Standalone] Import animated USD camera issue (screenshots)

Forums: [Standalone] Import animated USD camera issue (screenshots)
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

[Standalone] Import animated USD camera issue (screenshots)

Postby zdmit » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:57 am

zdmit Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:57 am
Used versions: appears both in 2024.1 Alpha and 2023.1.1 Standalone versions. Haven't tested with other versions.

The issue: exported animated USD camera from Houdini resulted in unexpected behavior in Octane (screenshots below for better understanding):
1. 12.000 frames once imported instead of 530 frames while exported.
2. camera shifted to the left while it was static.
3. where to plug an imported USD camera is quite confusing. (see "expected behavior" below).
4. no control over editing camera options (f-stop, focus distance, etc). (not an issue at the moment).

Expected behavior: import USD camera -> use USD node output to plug into Render Target Camera input.
Actual behavior: either import the whole USD stage (with geo, lights, etc) or use Octane native cameras.

Additional thoughts:
1. Using native cameras isn't the case as keyframing.. is it possible out of the box? I found a post from 2014 that uses a plugin.
2. Importing the whole USD scene isn't the case either as it gives limited control over the whole set. I prefer importing lights, geo, cameras, etc separately, not combined.

Please let me know if I doing everything as it is supposed to be or if I did something incorrectly.

P.S. - I wasn't able to post under "Octane Licensed Customer Forums" due to limited access. That's why posting here.

Thank you for all the work!

Screenshots for better understanding

Expected VS Actual camera placement. Both Houdini and Octane are set to Meter units

Unexpected number of frames + camera shift for no reason

No option to modify imported USD camera settings

zdmit
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion