Camera dependent textures and Vertex Displacements

Forums: Camera dependent textures and Vertex Displacements
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Camera dependent textures and Vertex Displacements

Postby iam404 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:17 am

iam404 Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:17 am
Hello everyone,

I'm using Blender Octane Edition and trying to experiment with the Vertex Displacement shaders. I'm trying to create some kind of billboards planes that are always facing the view/camera with the help of these shaders. For that purpose I wanted to use camera dependent textures (Ray Direction, Sample Position e.t.c.) with additional calculations that I feed into Vertex Displacement node. The thing I noticed is that despite the fact that these nodes output correct color depending on position in screen space (see attached screenshots), these textures don't seem to work as an input for vertex displacement. They either do nothing at all or provide some weird result that doesn't change regarding view/camera changes. I've tried many combinations and parameters, but no practically useful/interactive result. Some other geometric nodes like UV coords work as expected.

Is this a bug, limitation or do I just understand the underlying working principles of these nodes completely wrong?
Thank you!

iam404

Re: Camera dependent textures and Vertex Displacements

Postby jobigoud » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:50 am

jobigoud Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:50 am
It's a limitation, the displacement is recompiled only when the texture properties change. In this case the texture properties don't change since the camera dependent aspect is already built in the texture code.
There might be a solution to this down the line.
jobigoud
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion