Feature idea: Sharp light projection and soft shadows

Forums: Feature idea: Sharp light projection and soft shadows
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Feature idea: Sharp light projection and soft shadows

Postby HenrikBC » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:44 pm

HenrikBC Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:44 pm
Hi

Feature idea/request:
The ability to project a texture through a light source - but control the shadow sharpness separately from the projected texture. I know this is not physically correct, but this would enable many uses - one of them being the ability to project sharp caustics on underwater environments while keeping the shadows soft and diffuse. In other engines I have seen this implemented as a button that can be switched on/off - or supported through 3ds max legacy light sources with the option to select an engine-specific shadows type. I have no idea how complicated such as feature is to add to Octane Render but I think it would be a really useful addition.

I'm on the demo version of Octane Render for 3ds max.

Best regards,
Henrik
HenrikBC

Re: Feature idea: Sharp light projection and soft shadows

Postby pedoja » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:38 am

pedoja Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:38 am
HenrikBC wrote:Hi

Feature idea/request:
The ability to project a texture through a light source - but control the shadow sharpness separately from the projected texture. I know this is not physically correct, but this would enable many uses - one of them being the ability to project sharp caustics on underwater environments while keeping the shadows soft and diffuse. In other engines I have seen this implemented as a button that can be switched on/off - or cuphead supported through 3ds max legacy light sources with the option to select an engine-specific shadows type. I have no idea how complicated such as feature is to add to Octane Render but I think it would be a really useful addition.

Best regards,
Henrik

Thanks! Convenient on/off button for light use.
pedoja

Postby tunnelvoracious » Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:51 am

tunnelvoracious Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:51 am
This is also one of the things that I am wondering, do not know who can help?tunnel rush
tunnelvoracious

Postby HenrikBC » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:51 am

HenrikBC Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:51 am
Glad to hear the idea has interest from more users! I think it could be a really useful feature.
HenrikBC

Postby Reery1968 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:59 am

Reery1968 Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:59 am
HenrikBC wrote:Hi

Feature idea/request:
The ability to project a texture through a light source - but control the shadow sharpness separately from the projected texture geometry dash lite. I know this is not physically correct, but this would enable many uses - one of them being the ability to project sharp caustics on underwater environments while keeping the shadows soft and diffuse. In other engines I have seen this implemented as a button that can be switched on/off - or supported through 3ds max legacy light sources with the option to select an engine-specific shadows type. I have no idea how complicated such as feature is to add to Octane Render but I think it would be a really useful addition.

Best regards,
Henrik

I think your idea is pretty cool. Hope Octane Render can develop this new feature.
Reery1968

Postby namdosan1409 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:33 am

namdosan1409 Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:33 am
I've tested the IES feature with a point light (I've used this kind of ... lights will generate shadows as a point light, casting sharp shadows. car games
namdosan1409

Postby bacteriashoal » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:36 am

bacteriashoal Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:36 am
This has been implemented as an on/off button that I have seen, or it can be used with heritage light sources in 3ds Max that let you to choose the kind of shadows that are specific to the enginerun 3. I'm glad more people are showing interest in the idea! It seems like a great helpful function.
bacteriashoal

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion