Octane for Blender MacOS Catalina

Forums: Octane for Blender MacOS Catalina
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Octane for Blender MacOS Catalina

Postby otoy223 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:24 pm

otoy223 Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:24 pm
On my MacbookPro, I am running macos Catalina 10.15.6. I downloaded the Octane demo, and it works perfectly.

However, when I run Octane for Blender I receive the error as described here (viewtopic.php?f=25&t=74005). In particular, the errors are: I cannot open the "Device Preferences" in the Octane Render render settings and the rendering is stuck on "Waiting for image".

I installed the Nvidia cuDNN drivers that was prompted in the dialog box.

What might be going on here such that Octane isn't working in Blender?
otoy223

Re: Octane for Blender MacOS Catalina

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:12 am

bepeg4d Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:12 am
Hi,
what is your AMD GPU?
Which model of MacBook Pro do you have exactly?

It seems that you have download and installed the Mac CUDA version, not OctaneX version, but the CUDA version works only under High Sierra with Nvidia GPU :roll:

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby otoy223 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 am

otoy223 Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:23 am
Hi bepeg4d,

I appreciate your response!

My gpu is Radeon Pro 555X 4 GB
MacBook Pro model is 2018, 15”

I misspoke in my original comment, the Octane demo also does not work.
I double checked, and I do have Octane X installed — at least that’s what the app says.

From what I have researched, one solution is to keep the MacOS Catalina, but purchase a eGPU and get a Radeon VII or RX 5700 XT. Would this work?

Alternatively, I can look into installing High Sierra.
Can you kindly share with me instructions or an old forum post on how to pursue this option?
If I did, would I still need to purchase an eGPU and updated Radeon AMD?

Thank you!
otoy223

Postby flipnap » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:01 pm

flipnap Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:01 pm
Hi y'all. so new to octane rendering (just started today) and I downloaded "Octane X Demo" and it runs GREAT in standalone. What I WANT is to see how it performs in blender. it doesn't look like it installed any add ons in blender. I checked back on Otoy's site and only thing I could find for blender is the windows version. is there a link im missing for the macOS blender plugin/add on? I searched for a while and couldn't find it. Thanks so much. the stand alone is AMAZINGLY fast on a MacBook 2019 with AMD Radeon Pro 5600M. looking forward to getting an EgPU and building a render box! thanks so much for all the hard work getting this out to us Mac people!!

John
flipnap

Postby alicebobby » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:29 am

alicebobby Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:29 am
Hello everyone. I downloaded "Octane X Demo" because I'm new to octane rendering (I started today), and it works incredibly well on its own. My desire is to observe its performance in a mixer. Nothing appears to have been added to the blender. When I returned to Otoy's website, the only version of Blender that I could locate was the Windows version. Is there a link that I'm missing for the blender add-on or plugin for macOS? I looked for a long time without finding it. Many thanks. When using a MacBook 2019 with an AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, the stand alone is incredibly quick. eager to construct a render box and acquire an EgPU! I really appreciate all of your efforts.
Alice  tunnel rush 
alicebobby

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:59 am

bepeg4d Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:59 am
Hi Alice,
first of all, you need to have installed macOS 12.7 Monterey.

Then please download and install OctaneX PR14 Blender and Server:
https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads ... 2.4-xb.zip
https://render.otoy.com/plugindownloads ... 2.4-xb.zip

Alternatively, for macOS 11 Big Sur, please download and install OctaneX PR11 Blender and Server:
https://render.otoy.com/downloads/ad/53 ... 2.2-xb.zip
https://render.otoy.com/downloads/a9/fd ... _MacOS.dmg

ciao,
Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion