properly way to upgrade

Forums: properly way to upgrade
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

properly way to upgrade

Postby tinoxps » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:08 pm

tinoxps Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:08 pm
Hello I have a question. If I use Octane for maya and c4d. Lets say I would like to upgrade to a newer stable release.
So in C4D I will download the 7zip file,unpackt it and copy the folder on the plugin folder of my c4d. Do I need here to upgrade the standalone too?
And for maya? Do I need first to uninstall and then install the new version? I am very confuse, any recomendation will be appreciated.

Cheers,
Tinoxps
tinoxps

Re: properly way to upgrade

Postby bepeg4d » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:27 am

bepeg4d Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:27 am
Hi Tinoxps,
for c4d:
first of all, go to c4d menu Help/Check for updates, and update c4d, then download the .zip or .rar file, uncompress it, remove the unnecessary .cdl64/.xdl64 files not related to your C4D RXX version, and copy/paste the c4doctane folder into plugins folder.
You can have several c4d RXX version installed, with a different c4doctane version in each one.

For Standalone:
It is important to download and run the Installer for the first time, then you can download and install the .zip version, you can have several different versions of Standalone installed.

For Maya:
again, you can have several Maya versions installed, with a different Octane version in each one.

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby tinoxps » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:48 pm

tinoxps Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:48 pm
Hi bepeg4d,

thanks for the clarification. It is actually pretty straightforward but I have now a couple of question more so I understand it to 100%:

-The version of the plugin is independent of the Standalone (while rendering? E.g I can have Octane Standalone 4.02.01 and have C4D-Octane 2018.3, there won't be any problems here? Or will it be better if I also install the Standalone 2018.3.

-If I want to open an old scene (maya or c4d) I would rather downgrade to the octance version the project was made with, so I do not encounter any Color diferences on the renders (in case there are some). So in C4D would unzip the old version and replace the folder in c4d. Is there a way I can do this in maya, maybe changin variables in the modules.

Cheers,
Tinoxps
tinoxps

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:22 am

bepeg4d Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:22 am
Hi Tinoxps,
yes, the Standalone version installed could be different, but note that you could have several different Standalone versions installed with no issues, and if you need to export to Standalone from plugin, better to use the same SDK version of plugin.
About the Maya second question, sorry, I’m a c4d user. but personally, I have several C4D versions installed, R18/R19/R20/R21, everyone with a different c4doctane version installed in it, so I can switch between different SDK versions easily.
ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion