Importing animation and shader data from Softimage

Forums: Importing animation and shader data from Softimage
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Importing animation and shader data from Softimage

Postby DanielKim3d » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:14 am

DanielKim3d Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:14 am
Hello

I love all samples of Octane and am very much interested in having it, and also very excited Octane company is very close to my office :D Before purchase beta version of Octane, I like to know some stuff here :)

My questions are about importing animation data and shader.
I do a lot character animation stuff. I set up rigging in Softimage and animate it. Is there any problems export and import animation data from Softimage? Most of time I do character animation stuff, but also do some of ICE work. This is very important to know all animation data (key frame, shape, ICE, and any other parameters)

The other question is about shading. I have seen shader options in Octane, but making shader in Softimage is of course easiest way for me. If I make some complicate render tree shader (displacement, bump, incidence, and etc), is it still importing to Octane correctly?

I will wait for answers :)
Thanks

Dan
DanielKim3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Importing animation and shader data from Softimage

Postby kubo » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 am

kubo Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:21 am
about the first question, it's best if you see it for yourself, just follow Face's awesome ICE test thread http://www.refractivesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1182&hilit=ice
An about the second one, I don't use softimage, but right now the internal modeling apps obj exporters are the actual limitation of material "depth", most of them hardly "send" more than diffuse, bump or alpha channel. But in my experience, it's much better to do a simple material with just diffuse for correctly applying uvw maps and then in octane do real time editing of your materials, not only is faster, you get constant feedback of how it looks in your scene.
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion