Octane on MacBookPro using 9400m...

Forums: Octane on MacBookPro using 9400m...
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Octane on MacBookPro using 9400m...

Postby SurfingAlien » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 pm

SurfingAlien Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:22 pm
...is not fast, is not fluid (i.e. realtime), but it is possible :)

The only reason I'm posting this is that I've seen some threads about this topic, and wanted to share my experiences.

Now I was making some tests with this "diamond watch" thingy made by a (virtual) friend of mine called Antoine aka "à la mouche" and for the first time I tried PathTracing with 16MaxDepth, a studio HRDI (octane_studio9) and a 364k tris model... I expected Octane would crash but...

well, it took about 2 hours to reach 2800+ samples/px (and I learned to do my material tweaks while pausing the render process) but if you consider I'm forced to use an on-board 9400m with 256Mb shared, and I had another CPU unbiased renderer running and a Linux VBox virtual machine (with another 1024Mb shared) open... is not that bad

of course I'm not saying I can render complex scenes, high-res films, huge textures and the like
of course I look forward to the new beta, and new nVidia driver for OSX
and of course the render itself needs huge work, but that was not the point here...
Attachments
AntoineDiamonds_oct.jpg
MacBookPro unibody 2x2.4GHz | 4Gb | 9400M+9600GT 256Mb | OSX 10.6.8
i7 2600-K @3.4GHz | 8Gb | GTX560Ti 2Gb | Windows7x64 | Octane 1.0 b2.52
SurfingAlien
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion