some questin about future

Forums: some questin about future
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: some questin about future

Postby redmotion » Thu May 06, 2010 12:51 pm

redmotion Thu May 06, 2010 12:51 pm
Don't think there are pathtracers out there with render passes support

I think you're right - a full channels/passes system almost defeats the object of using pathtracing. I don't expect the passes/channel feature to be available for it. Direct lighting, yes - pathtracing not so much.

Implementing Alpha mattes would be nice though, where you can just render out a white on black pass for individual materials in the scene. This would give compositors some better control for isolation masks and colour correction.
win 7 64 | q6600 | 4gb ram | gtx 260 [196] | driver nvidia 197.13 | SketchUp7 | Softimage 2010
win 7 64 | i5-2500k | 16gb | gtx 570 | driver 275.33 | SketchUp8 Pro
redmotion
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby DavidT » Thu May 06, 2010 5:14 pm

DavidT Thu May 06, 2010 5:14 pm
redmotion wrote:Implementing Alpha mattes would be nice though, where you can just render out a white on black pass for individual materials in the scene. This would give compositors some better control for isolation masks and colour correction.

I'm not very knowledgeable about compositing render passes, but with the new script feature that can allow camera information to be exported from the 3D application into Octane, couldn't you do an alpha pass from the 3D program's internal renderer and combine it with the render from Octane? The only problem I could see with it not matching up is maybe in anti-aliasing being different from the two renderers. I'm curious if this sounds like a plausible solution. I was thinking a z-depth pass would work with this technique.
Windows 7 64-bit | GTX 470 | i7 920 | 12 GB
DavidT
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Thu May 06, 2010 5:17 pm

radiance Thu May 06, 2010 5:17 pm
DavidT wrote:
redmotion wrote:Implementing Alpha mattes would be nice though, where you can just render out a white on black pass for individual materials in the scene. This would give compositors some better control for isolation masks and colour correction.

I'm not very knowledgeable about compositing render passes, but with the new script feature that can allow camera information to be exported from the 3D application into Octane, couldn't you do an alpha pass from the 3D program's internal renderer and combine it with the render from Octane? The only problem I could see with it not matching up is maybe in anti-aliasing being different from the two renderers. I'm curious if this sounds like a plausible solution. I was thinking a z-depth pass would work with this technique.

alpha is scheduled for 2.3, a z-depth could be added for beta3.
those 2 are what we'd like to work on first, all the other kinds of passes present a lot of difficulties.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby Chris » Fri May 07, 2010 9:14 am

Chris Fri May 07, 2010 9:14 am
radiance wrote:
DavidT wrote:

alpha is scheduled for 2.3, a z-depth could be added for beta3.
those 2 are what we'd like to work on first, all the other kinds of passes present a lot of difficulties.

Radiance

Those 2 are the most important anyways ;)
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion