Undecided between Octane/Thea/VRay for SketchUp

Forums: Undecided between Octane/Thea/VRay for SketchUp
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Undecided between Octane/Thea/VRay for SketchUp

Postby Humpti » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Humpti Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:41 pm
Hi,

coming from a Mac I just build myself a nice Windows PC, because of the so needed NVIDIA GPU. I'm also working with SketchUp and doing ArchViz.

Now my question. I'm quite undecided what to choose. At first I was all VRay (because it seems to be the standard for ArchViz), searched some more and found Thea Renderer which seems very nice, too, but then I found Octane and that got me. BUT! checking the SU-Plugin, it seems that it is not as yet usable with SU 2015, which I use. I couldn't check the demo, since it's all < 2015. SU-People seem very angry right now, because the plugin is unattended and missing love. Does this mean, that Octane+SU isn't an option right now, ... for the near future? I'd really love to use Octane, but not if it's all hassle and workarounds.

Thanks
Humpti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Undecided between Octane/Thea/VRay for SketchUp

Postby Humpti » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:42 am

Humpti Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:42 am
Ok. Guess the question was too difficult to answer as no right answer exists.

But nevertheless I took a decision. I tried Rhino 5 (I remembered having a license of Version 4 some many years ago) and pretty much liked what has been done with it. I tried the octane demo plugin and liked the integration too. So I will go this route, update to Rhino 5 any buy octane for Rhino.

Cheers.
Humpti
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby clausgs » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:02 am

clausgs Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:02 am
Humpti wrote:Ok. Guess the question was too difficult to answer as no right answer exists.

But nevertheless I took a decision. I tried Rhino 5 (I remembered having a license of Version 4 some many years ago) and pretty much liked what has been done with it. I tried the octane demo plugin and liked the integration too. So I will go this route, update to Rhino 5 any buy octane for Rhino.

Cheers.

HI
You should give Thea for Su a try they have done a very good job...
Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, WIN 7 64bit.
clausgs
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Micha3D » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Micha3D Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:38 pm
For every day I use Vray for Rhino (same like VfSU), because it can render anything for sure. I have the full artistic freedom not limited by to much unbiased features. But for animating product design in full HD the Octane biased modes are great. So I bought Octane for animation and the AO speed&quality is great. So I'm glad to have both. I can't live without Vray and Octane helps me to get quick animations done too. I don't know Thea.
Win7 64 | Dual Xeon E5-2687W | GTX 1080ti 11GB + GTX 780 6GB | Rhino3D
Micha3D
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion