OctaneRender® 2022.1.1

Forums: OctaneRender® 2022.1.1
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OctaneRender® 2022.1.1

Postby haze » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:52 am

haze Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:52 am
Hi all,

We have made several fixes, and some of them took longer to sort out towards the end. We're happy to bring you all of these and some general improvements in this update.

Important: if using macOS, we strongly recommend that you update to version 13.3. Prior to 13.3, there is an OS related issue that causes a render failure consistently if you render for long periods of time.

Changes since Octane 2022.1

Rendering improvements

• Added perspective correction to universal camera.
  • Improved performance on macOS across most hardware.
  • Added input "Static noise" to the info channel kernel node.
  • Photon mapping now takes GI clamp setting into account.
  • Light linking can be used with the shadow catcher material.
  • In irradiance mode we no longer try to generate transparent areas where objects intersect the ground.
  • Changed the Circle spiral texture so that it does not output negative color values and rename its color inputs.

Rendering fixes

• Fixed shadow catcher not being transparent if all types of light sampling are disabled.
  • Fixed precision loss causing artefacts when calculating face weights for vertex normals/tangents.
  • Photon mapping with light from environment maps now works correctly on materials with 0 roughness.
  • Fixed incorrect VDB volume appearing as input of a Vectron. This happened with volumes that show up multiple times in the scene, behind different material map nodes.
  • Fixed some problems with calculated vertex normals and tangents for certain meshes.
  • Fixed noise introduced in shadow passes in 2021.1. This restores the appearance of shadow passes to that in 2020.2. Affects scenes using an environment with importance sampling, in combination with the shadow pass or render layer shadows.
  • Fixed invalid tangents in cases like sphere poles.
  • Fixed emission that is too dark when seen through a transmissive material with fake shadows enabled in combination with importance sampling and roughness greater than 0.
  • Fixed subtle artefacts in shadow ray calculations.
  • Fixed an issue where sub-diving a part of geometry through vertex displacement settings was producing incorrect output.
  • Fixed large volume rendering.
  • Fixed portal materials not working when connected to a mix material node.
  • Fixed nested dielectrics not working as expected for universal materials that are treated as medium-only materials.
  • Fixed some materials rendering incorrectly when nested dielectrics was enabled.
  • Fixed UV projected textures on displacement triangles.
  • Fixed bug causing render regression when nested dielectrics were enabled in the kernel settings.
  • Fixed incorrect interactive render region borders for various info channel kernel modes.
  • Fixed large volumes rendering incorrectly on MacOS.
  • Fixed sluggish/delayed tone-mapping if AI light is enabled.
  • Fix noise rendered on light sources with an opacity of exactly 0.
  • Fixed upsampler rendering white screens and sometimes causing render failures.
  • Fixed reordering layers of a composite output AOV having no effect.
  • Fixed having multiple Vectron primitives of the same type but with different materials and settings in a scene.
  • Fixed the wrong normal map being used when a universal material's bump and sheen bump inputs are connected to the same texture node and the coating layer is active.
  • Fixed nested dielectric behaviour around Null materials.
  • Fixed material emission not working correctly with stacked material layers.

Stability

• Fixed render failure when instances switch between valid and invalid transformation, the total number of instances doesn't change and you quickly scrub the timeline.
  • Fixed crash when deleting a node item while doing some other UI gesture.
  • Fixed crash when a node item is deleted while a menu for it is open.
  • Fixed crash when connecting a Vectron Union node to a material map.
  • Linux: Fixed a crash on Octane startup when running on a high resolution display.
  • Fixed a render failure on MacOS when rendering volumes.
  • Fixed a render failure when using a toon material as the base material of a layered material.
  • Fixed render failure if using motion vector pass with Vectron primitives.

UI improvements

• Limit slider ranges for inputs in the "Brightness adjustment" group of the Image adjustment texture node.
  • Changed the slider limit range for the hue shift of the "Image adjustment" texture to [-180,180].
  • Limited the slider range of the "Fan spiral" texture's "Spin" and "Arc count" inputs.
  • Added the unit used for film width to the label and tooltip on all materials. This is in micrometers for all materials except standard surface, which uses nanometers.
  • Allowed rotation values to be greater than 360.
  • Disallowed collapsing output linkers.
  • Avoid slow redrawing of the node graph with 'Select all' and with the lasso.
  • Connection cutter now works at any zoom level.
  • Dragging a connector from a pin now only happens with the left mouse button.
  • Show tooltip on node pins immediately.
  • Fixed the height of the out-of-core preferences component.
  • Fixed the height of the common geometry import preferences component.
  • Added scrollbars for windows too large to fit on the screen.
  • Scroll bars and numerical boxes respond properly to smooth scroll wheel input.
  • Added icons for the built-in Geometric primitive node.
  • Fixed white boxes around floating components with custom shapes on macOS.
  • Fixed drag and drop of LiveDB materials into the render viewport.
  • Changed the file suffix of log files saved from the Standalone log window to .txt and set the file extension of the save dialog from * to *.txt as well.

Loading and saving

• Improved loading speed in most scenes.
  • Saving items into an ORBX in the Standalone will not switch the file paths of saved file assets anymore.
  • Fixed version conversion of spotlight nodes saved in old versions.
  • Fixed an issue where rendered images were no longer saved and this message appeared in the log: "Received result with higher change level than our current render change level."
  • Fixed some attributes not being saved in the app preferences dialog version of image import preferences.
  • Fixed image texture node color space not sticking when exporting scene.
  • Fixed HDR image import type changes requiring a restart, if it was cached.
  • Fixed issue with RNDR uploads causing incorrect renders due to some animated nodes missing assets.
  • Fixed USDC file not loading via drag-drop and from the general import context menu.
  • Reduced the peak host memory required when rendering multiple large volumes.

Lua API changes

• Lua: Added new Lua module octane.rendercloudmanager which provides functionality for interacting with RNDR.

Downloads

OctaneRender Studio+ Standalone for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio+ Standalone for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Studio+ Standalone for Linux

OctaneRender Studio+ Node for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio+ Node for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Studio+ Node for Linux

Octane X Prime for macOS

OctaneRender Demo Standalone for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Demo Standalone for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Demo Standalone for Linux

Happy rendering
Your OTOY team
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender® 2022.1.1 [current 2022.1]

Postby linograndiotoy » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:04 am

linograndiotoy Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:04 am
Thanks for all those fixes!
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby nuno1980 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:17 pm

nuno1980 Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:17 pm
Please should fix -> see 2 issues because I tested this new version but the wrong brightness on "allow caustics" enabled is not fixed at photon tracing kernel yet.
NOTE: I'm sorry for bad english due to mute ;)

i7-12700KF
2x16GB RAM@DDR4-3600
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
Zotac GF RTX 4090 NEW! <3 :mrgreen:
SSDs OCZ RD400 0.5TB and Crucial 2TB SATA3
HDD 1TB SATA2
LG BD-RE BH16NS40
PSU 1kW
CRT 21" Sony E530 :D
nuno1980
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:35 am

Zay Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:35 am
Windows 11 says octane.exe is a trojan "Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml" and deletes the octane.exe.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby john_otoy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:20 am

john_otoy Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:20 am
Zay wrote:Windows 11 says octane.exe is a trojan "Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml" and deletes the octane.exe.

I just scanned the installed files and zips with Windows Defender in Windows 10 and 11 (with latest Windows updates) and no problems show up.

Have you scanned the rest of your system?
john_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Zay » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:51 am

Zay Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:51 am
john_otoy wrote:I just scanned the installed files and zips with Windows Defender in Windows 10 and 11 (with latest Windows updates) and no problems show up.

Yes I made a complete scan. Every time I download the OctaneRender_Studio+_2022_1_1_win.zip file, it points to the zip file.
Is this a false flag then?
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Zay » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:45 am

Zay Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:45 am
john_otoy wrote:I just scanned the installed files and zips with Windows Defender in Windows 10 and 11 (with latest Windows updates) and no problems show up.

It was a false flag. I updated the MS defender antivirus scanner a second time, and it doesn't delete octane.exe anymore or block the zip file.
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nuno1980 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:33 am

nuno1980 Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:33 am

i7-12700KF
2x16GB RAM@DDR4-3600
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
HDD 1TB SATA2
LG BD-RE BH16NS40
PSU 1kW
nuno1980
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:39 pm

mojave Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:39 pm

Hi, can you please share a simple scene that we can use to reproduce this problem?
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby nuno1980 » Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:10 pm

nuno1980 Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:10 pm
mojave wrote:

Hi, can you please share a simple scene that we can use to reproduce this problem?
Ok. I got GPU failed at 1st time for RTX 4090 at AI denoiser after many times despite GPU temperature of only no hotter than 48 or 49 ºC@~98% GPU usage. I think Google Chrome browser suspected may cause Optix/CUDA errors. But fortunately, still no any problems at rendering.

I can't save ORBX due to the "demo" but I attacted OBJ -
ice stone.obj
but you need to reduce the "length unit" from "meters" to "centimeters". :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

i7-12700KF
2x16GB RAM@DDR4-3600
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
HDD 1TB SATA2
LG BD-RE BH16NS40
PSU 1kW
nuno1980
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)