Bring in multiple nodes at once

Forums: Bring in multiple nodes at once
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Bring in multiple nodes at once

Postby spartan00j » Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:53 pm

spartan00j Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:53 pm
Hi, I would like to know if there is a way to bring in multiple nodes at once. As if I would like to have all the transfrom nodes placed in the scene at the same time. Do I always have to bring them in one by one? Is there a way to bring them all or multiple nodes at the same time?

Thanks
Win 10
Threadripper 1920x
128GB RAM
RTX 3060 TI
spartan00j
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Bring in multiple nodes at once

Postby pegot » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:32 pm

pegot Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:32 pm
You might be able to make a saved orbx via local library that has whatever pre selected nodes you think you will need and then just import or add that to your current project.
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
PSU: PowerSpec 850Wd
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
PSU: EVGA 1200w
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby spartan00j » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:00 pm

spartan00j Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:00 pm
pegot wrote:You might be able to make a saved orbx via local library that has whatever pre selected nodes you think you will need and then just import or add that to your current project.

Yeah I thought I might have to do as much. I just have all the nodes I need into one group and label them. And just saved it as a default scene. So I can always pull from it.
Win 10
Threadripper 1920x
128GB RAM
RTX 3060 TI
spartan00j
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:49 pm

face_off Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:49 pm
Hi - I am unsure how you are bringing in Transform nodes - they are usually generated by the plugin.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby spartan00j » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:47 pm

spartan00j Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:47 pm
face_off wrote:Hi - I am unsure how you are bringing in Transform nodes - they are usually generated by the plugin.

Paul

Hi Paul, this was a question just about nodes in the stand-alone. I was using the transfer nodes as an example. Sometimes I would like to bring up multiple nodes at once. Like multiple material nodes. But I would have to press the space bar and bring in the nodes. Every time I would like to add another note. So I was looking for a way to if I want different types of material nodes I can batch bring in a lot of nodes. Like if I wanted five material nodes all at once. It's slow if I hit the space bar and select a node five times.
For example. It will be nice if I could hit the space bar and when the node selector comes up I could hold down Control and click each node that I would like somehow and bring them all into the scene at once.

If that makes sense.
Win 10
Threadripper 1920x
128GB RAM
RTX 3060 TI
spartan00j
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:22 am

face_off Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:22 am
spartan00j wrote:Hi Paul, this was a question just about nodes in the stand-alone. I was using the transfer nodes as an example. Sometimes I would like to bring up multiple nodes at once. Like multiple material nodes. But I would have to press the space bar and bring in the nodes. Every time I would like to add another note. So I was looking for a way to if I want different types of material nodes I can batch bring in a lot of nodes. Like if I wanted five material nodes all at once. It's slow if I hit the space bar and select a node five times.
For example. It will be nice if I could hit the space bar and when the node selector comes up I could hold down Control and click each node that I would like somehow and bring them all into the scene at once.

If that makes sense.
You can right mouse click the nodegraph canvas to add a node.

Thanks

Paul
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby spartan00j » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:24 pm

spartan00j Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:24 pm
face_off wrote:
spartan00j wrote:Hi Paul, this was a question just about nodes in the stand-alone. I was using the transfer nodes as an example. Sometimes I would like to bring up multiple nodes at once. Like multiple material nodes. But I would have to press the space bar and bring in the nodes. Every time I would like to add another note. So I was looking for a way to if I want different types of material nodes I can batch bring in a lot of nodes. Like if I wanted five material nodes all at once. It's slow if I hit the space bar and select a node five times.

If that makes sense.
You can right mouse click the nodegraph canvas to add a node.

Thanks

Paul

Yes I know I can do that. But I would like to right-click the nodegraph canvas, hover over the category of the node I want and add multiple nodes at the same time. Instead of opening up the nodegraph canvas each time to add one node.
For example, right-click to open up the nodegraph canvas, and hover over the Material category. Hold down the control or shift key to click multiple nodes(Mix, Portal, Glossy and Diffuse) and then click and drag them into the scene.
It's a productivity thing :)
Win 10
Threadripper 1920x
128GB RAM
RTX 3060 TI
spartan00j
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby face_off » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:15 am

face_off Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:15 am
I think this is something you would need to talk to the Octane dev team about. I suggest posting in the latest Octane Standalone release thread.

Thanks

Paul
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby jobigoud » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:44 am

jobigoud Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:44 am
Just to expand on the previously suggested solution you can do it this way using the LocalDB:

1. Create a bunch of nodes you want to later be able to add all at once.
2. Select all these nodes > right click > Save…
3. Change Location to LocalDB, Fill the "Item name" field. This will be the name of the collection as it will appear in LocalDB.
4. Click OK to save the ORBX in the LocalDB.

Refresh the LocalDB tree. You can now import that collection and it will create all the nodes directly in the nodegraph.

This supports all that ORBX support, so it works for all node types, not just Materials and Textures.
You can create multiple collections, mix different node types, add the same node type multiple times, create groups, customize and preset the nodes themselves, etc.

IMHO this is much more flexible than whatever could be done at the menu level.
jobigoud
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby spartan00j » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:38 pm

spartan00j Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:38 pm
face_off wrote:I think this is something you would need to talk to the Octane dev team about. I suggest posting in the latest Octane Standalone release thread.

Thanks

Paul

Okay will do.

jobigoud wrote:Just to expand on the previously suggested solution you can do it this way using the LocalDB:

1. Create a bunch of nodes you want to later be able to add all at once.
2. Select all these nodes > right click > Save…
3. Change Location to LocalDB, Fill the "Item name" field. This will be the name of the collection as it will appear in LocalDB.
4. Click OK to save the ORBX in the LocalDB.

Refresh the LocalDB tree. You can now import that collection and it will create all the nodes directly in the nodegraph.

This supports all that ORBX support, so it works for all node types, not just Materials and Textures.
You can create multiple collections, mix different node types, add the same node type multiple times, create groups, customize and preset the nodes themselves, etc.

IMHO this is much more flexible than whatever could be done at the menu level.

Thanks
Win 10
Threadripper 1920x
128GB RAM
RTX 3060 TI
spartan00j
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)