OctaneRender™ 2021.1.6

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2021.1.6
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2021.1.6 [current 2021.1]

Postby john_otoy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:17 pm

john_otoy Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:17 pm
PolderAnimation wrote:When using region render with path tracing, the whole render restart and you lose your previous image. So comparing parts is then also not doable.

PolderAnimation wrote:I also made a video to demonstrate the issue. Thanks for looking into this. I have seen this behavior for quite a while.

Thanks for the file. This is a limitation we had in previous versions of Octane when using cryptomatte passes. If you temporarily disable the cryptomatte pass then adjust your material color, only the region will restart.

We changed the way cryptomatte is handled in 2022.1, so this is no longer an issue.
john_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby john_otoy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:36 pm

john_otoy Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:36 pm
PolderAnimation wrote:I am having an issue with region rendering. When I use the region render function (in the info channel, with the diffuse filter applied) it creates a black square around my region.

Unfortunately, we released OctaneRender 2021.1.7 the same day you reported this, so it's highly unlikely there will be any more 2021.1.x releases.
Last edited by john_otoy on Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby PolderAnimation » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:29 pm

PolderAnimation Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:29 pm
john_otoy wrote:
PolderAnimation wrote:I am having an issue with region rendering. When I use the region render function (in the info channel, with the diffuse filter applied) it creates a black square around my region.

Unfortunately, we released OctaneRender 2021.1.7 the same day you reported this, so it's highly unlikely there will be any more 2021.1.x releases.

This issue does not happen in OctaneRender 2022.1 though.

Thanks for the reply's. We will use octane 2022 in the next project.
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby john_otoy » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:32 pm

john_otoy Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:32 pm

I need to make a correction. This also happens in 2022.1. I was testing using the wireframe pass instead of diffuse filter. Sorry about that and thanks for the report.
john_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ 2021.1.6

Postby PolderAnimation » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:10 pm

PolderAnimation Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:10 pm
I will continue to report bugs whenever I encounter them, even if this is an older version. I have noticed that when using texture compression (BC6 in this case), if I export my textures while Octane is closed and then reopen it, it will begin compressing my textures. Once the compression is complete, if I click on one of my render targets, it does not start rendering. The rendering only begins when I use the 'restart the current render' function. This has implications for us when submitting it to a render dispachter, because it means that Octane will not render files if it needs to compress textures first.
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby john_otoy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:13 am

john_otoy Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:13 am
PolderAnimation wrote:I will continue to report bugs whenever I encounter them, even if this is an older version. I have noticed that when using texture compression (BC6 in this case), if I export my textures while Octane is closed and then reopen it, it will begin compressing my textures. Once the compression is complete, if I click on one of my render targets, it does not start rendering. The rendering only begins when I use the 'restart the current render' function. This has implications for us when submitting it to a render dispachter, because it means that Octane will not render files if it needs to compress textures first.

I have not been able to reproduce this, but it's possible I'm misunderstanding your steps.

I set up a sphere with an EXR connected to a diffuse material and the texture set to BC6 compression. I then closed Octane, edited the EXR and re-saved it. When opening Octane and loading the scene, I can see the re-compression happening in the status bar. Once it completes, clicking the render target starts the render correctly.

Am I missing something? Do you have a simple example you can PM to me?
john_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby PolderAnimation » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:32 am

PolderAnimation Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:32 am
john_otoy wrote:
PolderAnimation wrote:I will continue to report bugs whenever I encounter them, even if this is an older version. I have noticed that when using texture compression (BC6 in this case), if I export my textures while Octane is closed and then reopen it, it will begin compressing my textures. Once the compression is complete, if I click on one of my render targets, it does not start rendering. The rendering only begins when I use the 'restart the current render' function. This has implications for us when submitting it to a render dispachter, because it means that Octane will not render files if it needs to compress textures first.

I have not been able to reproduce this, but it's possible I'm misunderstanding your steps.

I set up a sphere with an EXR connected to a diffuse material and the texture set to BC6 compression. I then closed Octane, edited the EXR and re-saved it. When opening Octane and loading the scene, I can see the re-compression happening in the status bar. Once it completes, clicking the render target starts the render correctly.

Am I missing something? Do you have a simple example you can PM to me?

Sorry for the late reply. I think I found the problem. When I tried to create an example file, I couldn't replicate it easily. But occasionally it occurred when using Octane. I noticed that one of my machines had a cache size limit of only 4 GB and it was completely full. When I looked at the other machines, their cache size limits were around 60 GB and they were filled to about 12 GB. So I think this might be the problem. I'll let you know if it happens again.
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)