OctaneRender™ 2021.1.6

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2021.1.6
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OctaneRender™ 2021.1.6

Postby abstrax » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:34 am

abstrax Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:34 am
Hi all,

This is another maintenance release of 2021.1, which ports back the improved hair rendering of 2022.1 into 2021.1 and fixes various bugs and issues.

You can find an overview of all new features and improvements of version 2021.1 here.

This version supports all current NVIDIA GPUs with compute model 3.5 or higher. Please make sure to use a NVIDIA Studio driver with version at least 456.38 on Windows or 455.23 on Linux.

Changes since OctaneRender 2021.1.5:

• Ported back the improved rendering of hair with motion blur from 2022.1 XB1 to 2021.1. This is an extreme case demonstrating the issue:
  • Ported back the improved rendering of hair segment joints from 2022.1 XB3 to 2021.1. This is another extreme case showing the change:
  • Improved AI light update speed in some corner cases.
  • Improved consistency of the amounts of emitter noise between render restarts in scenes with enabled AI light. We now always build the highest quality AI light data structures. This may have an impact interactivity in some corner cases. Let us know if you have a scene where the update speed is severely impacted.
  • Fixed crash that happens when changing the FBX file connected to an object layer map node.
  • Fixed a render hang with dirt by limiting the number of surface intersections we allow for a dirt ray.
  • Fixed visible seams (see viewtopic.php?p=410755#p410755) of adjacent surfaces with different material nodes that have the same settings and also a sub-surface scattering medium.
  • Various tweaks and minor fixes in the handling of nested media and dielectrics, especially when a path exits those.
  • Fixed Autobump map which when RTX is enabled.
  • Fixed render artifacts in custom AOVs when an environment scatter/random walk medium is being used.
  • Fixed darkening of custom AOVs of a surface when you change the step length of a volume in front of the surface.
  • Fixed bug that caused the full environment to be included in shadow AOVs even when portals are enabled and the environment is not importance sampled.
  • Fixed laggy imaging/tone-mapping while rendering is progressing.
  • Fixed noise and incorrect background of the position AOVs if RTX is disabled and the scene bounding box has size 0 along one of its axis.
  • Fixed post-fx not being shown in the denoised main AOV until denoising has been done.
  • Enabling/disabling the aspect ratio lock of the film settings node does not restart rendering anymore.
  • OSL: Fixed assignment to short arrays where the index is not a compile time constant.
  • OSL: Fixed compilation error with OSL shaders which use escape characters like "\n" and "\t" in string literals.
  • OSL: In some cases we fall back to a fixed value if an OSL shader reads an undefined value
  • Standalone: Added render AOV collections to the render AOV selections in the node inspector and node graph editor.
  • Standalone: Fixed error in batch render job in scenes with multiple geometry archives that have different timeline lengths.
  • Standalone: Fixed tooltips of add/remove buttons of the render AOV group and the output AOV group.
  • Lua: Added functions octane.nodegraph.copyAttributeFromIx() and octane.nodegraph.collapse() which were missing.
  • Lua: Fixed incorrect display of colon syntax of a couple of Lua functions and improved some of the Lua function descriptions.
  • Lua: Renamed misspelled property octane.image.PROPS_IMAGE.hasTransparancy to octane.image.PROPS_IMAGE.hasTransparency.

Downloads

Downloads for Enterprise subscription users:

OctaneRender Enterprise Standalone for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Enterprise Standalone for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Enterprise Standalone for Linux

OctaneRender Enterprise Node for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Enterprise Node for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Enterprise Node for Linux

Downloads for Studio subscription users:

OctaneRender Studio Standalone for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio Standalone for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Studio Standalone for Linux

Demo downloads:

OctaneRender Demo Standalone for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Demo Standalone for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Demo Standalone for Linux

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ 2021.1.6 [current 2021.1]

Postby Zay » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:50 pm

Zay Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:50 pm
Sometimes Octane standalone freezes while rendering. Usually under setting up things. Octane is still rendering as I can hear the cards running but the GUI is frozen.
A workaround I found is to open Task Manager in windows 11 and close it again. Then the GUI is responsive again.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:50 pm

abstrax Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:50 pm
Zay wrote:Sometimes Octane standalone freezes while rendering. Usually under setting up things. Octane is still rendering as I can hear the cards running but the GUI is frozen.
A workaround I found is to open Task Manager in windows 11 and close it again. Then the GUI is responsive again.

Not good. Is that only in this version? Any way to reproduce it?
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Zay » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:43 pm

Zay Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:43 pm
abstrax wrote:Not good. Is that only in this version? Any way to reproduce it?

It happens in this version and version 2021.1.5. Can't remember if it goes further back than this.

I can't reproduce it - yet.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 546.01| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:57 pm

PolderAnimation Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:57 pm
I have a question about the Aces workflow.

My current project is fully ACES (aces_1.2). All my textures are made in an aces workflow and are exported as ACES-cg exr files.
I noticed that octane does not read them correctly. When a texture with a values above 1 is used, Octane does not show the values above one and clips it.
And because values above one are common in Aces textures, this is a problem.

Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong? or is this a bug? let me know.
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby karl » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:40 pm

karl Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:40 pm
PolderAnimation wrote:I have a question about the Aces workflow.

My current project is fully ACES (aces_1.2). All my textures are made in an aces workflow and are exported as ACES-cg exr files.
I noticed that octane does not read them correctly. When a texture with a values above 1 is used, Octane does not show the values above one and clips it.

A non-emissive object cannot reflect more light than is shining on it, so it's a physical impossibility to have a diffuse color like (2.0, 2.0, 2.0). Octane will scale the luminance of such colors to maintain conservation of energy. You can use HDR textures with overbright values for emission (where the result is actual light), but not in situations where the result is a "filter" that gets multiplied with incident light. You can have an HDR TV but not an HDR piece of paper, and being a physical renderer, physical laws like this are very much baked into how Octane works.

When you use an RGB image as a diffuse texture (for example), Octane converts each RGB value to a set of spectral coefficients - a number between 0 and 1 for each wavelength. Depending on the color space, some RGB colors with negative values or values greater than 1.0 are able to be converted to a valid set of coefficients. But others are not, and the resulting coefficients will be scaled so that none of them are greater than 1.0. So it's not the RGB colors direct from the texture that get clipped, it's the resulting BRDF of the surface that gets scaled down if it would otherwise be implausible.

If you have an example scene you can share, I would be interested to take a look to understand the use case. But in general, for reasonable results you should always use scenes that could (at least theoretically) exist in real life.
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby PolderAnimation » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:21 am

PolderAnimation Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:21 am
karu wrote:
PolderAnimation wrote:I have a question about the Aces workflow.

A non-emissive object cannot reflect more light than is shining on it, so it's a physical impossibility to have a diffuse color like (2.0, 2.0, 2.0). Octane will scale the luminance of such colors to maintain conservation of energy. You can use HDR textures with overbright values for emission (where the result is actual light), but not in situations where the result is a "filter" that gets multiplied with incident light. You can have an HDR TV but not an HDR piece of paper, and being a physical renderer, physical laws like this are very much baked into how Octane works.

When you use an RGB image as a diffuse texture (for example), Octane converts each RGB value to a set of spectral coefficients - a number between 0 and 1 for each wavelength. Depending on the color space, some RGB colors with negative values or values greater than 1.0 are able to be converted to a valid set of coefficients. But others are not, and the resulting coefficients will be scaled so that none of them are greater than 1.0. So it's not the RGB colors direct from the texture that get clipped, it's the resulting BRDF of the surface that gets scaled down if it would otherwise be implausible.

If you have an example scene you can share, I would be interested to take a look to understand the use case. But in general, for reasonable results you should always use scenes that could (at least theoretically) exist in real life.

Thanks for the reply, I see that programs like substance painter account for not using pure white (which has a 16 16 16 value in an Aces workflow). So when making textures in nuke that is something to keep in mind.
Last edited by PolderAnimation on Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby p3taotoy » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:48 pm

p3taotoy Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:48 pm
Is there slave node software for this version?

Thanks

Peter
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby p3taotoy » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:00 pm

p3taotoy Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:00 pm
Think I found it... unless I screwed up... the rendernode zip file has the correct files but the unzipped downloads gives you the studio standalone.

Could be wrong on that.. sorry if I am

Thanks
p3taotoy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:58 pm

abstrax Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:58 pm
p3taotoy wrote:Think I found it... unless I screwed up... the rendernode zip file has the correct files but the unzipped downloads gives you the studio standalone.

Could be wrong on that.. sorry if I am

Thanks

I just checked the 3 downloads and they all contain the Octane net render node binaries, so I am not sure what has happened on your side.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)