Request: Diffuse with controllable AO distance

Forums: Request: Diffuse with controllable AO distance
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Request: Diffuse with controllable AO distance

Postby coilbook » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:44 am

coilbook Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:44 am
HI
Can we get Diffuse with a controllable shadow darkness level or AO distance that way we get a nice color bleed that diffuse has and interior that are not dark. I know it maybe not the way a real light works but it is great for CG cartoons where inside is nice and bright. AO can do it well but it is missing color bleed that you see diffuse can do.

Thank you!
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Request: Diffuse with controllable AO distance

Postby mojave » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:36 am

mojave Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:36 am
I am not sure if you are asking for something else, but AO distance is already available in the DL kernel settings:

https://docs.otoy.com/manuals/products/ ... ng-kernel/
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:20 pm

coilbook Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:20 pm
mojave wrote:I am not sure if you are asking for something else, but AO distance is already available in the DL kernel settings:

hi. When we choose diffuse AO distance does not work and does not make interior shadows less darker. AO dist only works with AO

Would be nice to control shadows darkness/AO dist when Diffuse is selected
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:22 pm

abstrax Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:22 pm
coilbook wrote:
mojave wrote:I am not sure if you are asking for something else, but AO distance is already available in the DL kernel settings:

hi. When we choose diffuse AO distance does not work and does not make interior shadows less darker. AO dist only works with AO

If you choose the diffuse GI mode, no AO is calculated. It's basically a simplified path tracing mode. If things get too washed out, maybe try reducing the diffuse depth or fix it in the imager settings.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 pm

coilbook Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 pm
abstrax wrote:
coilbook wrote:

If you choose the diffuse GI mode, no AO is calculated. It's basically a simplified path tracing mode. If things get too washed out, maybe try reducing the diffuse depth or fix it in the imager settings.

thanks

but it would be nice to have an option to bright up interior shadows without affecting exterior light. Because to have a nicely lit interior exterior looks almost white. I know that's how a real camera works but for CG cartoons it is unacceptable just look at secret life of pets cartoon very nice bright interior and exterior is not overexposed. maybe you guys can add it as an option one day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:12 pm

mojave Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:12 pm
Actually you can achieve a similar result as even thought it may seem burned, the information is there when you save your image, you just need to play with different exposures and composite the result, which is likely what was done to create the frame you are sharing.

It's not a magic button, but it should work.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57 pm

abstrax Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57 pm
coilbook wrote:thanks

but it would be nice to have an option to bright up interior shadows without affecting exterior light. Because to have a nicely lit interior exterior looks almost white. I know that's how a real camera works but for CG cartoons it is unacceptable just look at secret life of pets cartoon very nice bright interior and exterior is not overexposed. maybe you guys can add it as an option one day

All these cartoon scene are lit using manually placed (invisible) light sources. In the past Pixar had people just doing lighting. I'm not sure if that's still the case but they had to place up to a couple hundred light sources per scene to make the lighting work.

In your case, you would need to do the same: You could add some invisible light sources to the windows to emulate more light coming into your rooms than there actually is. You could also use the "highlight compression" in the imager settings to compress the too bright outside. I'm sure there are more ways to solve this problem.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby MildMustard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:24 am

MildMustard Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:24 am
A cheap way to get lighting outside to be clearly visible without overexposing is to start with that.

1) Set up your interior scene with only the environment/sun and make sure it isn't over exposed, but light enough to suit your taste of what you think it should look like. (Light/Env intensity +- Exposure)
2) Then add your interior lights and don't touch your Exposure again, just adjust your interior lights which will probably need to be much brighter to compensate for the exposure. (compress highlights a little if needed if you aren't going to save out as EXR and do post-work)
3) Fake it until you make it.... (add extra invisible lights where you think it is needed, you can think of it as photography lighting setups if that helps)
MildMustard
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby coilbook » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:28 pm

coilbook Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:28 pm
abstrax wrote:
coilbook wrote:thanks

All these cartoon scene are lit using manually placed (invisible) light sources. In the past Pixar had people just doing lighting. I'm not sure if that's still the case but they had to place up to a couple hundred light sources per scene to make the lighting work.

In your case, you would need to do the same: You could add some invisible light sources to the windows to emulate more light coming into your rooms than there actually is. You could also use the "highlight compression" in the imager settings to compress the too bright outside. I'm sure there are more ways to solve this problem.

thanks. In real life one window in a small room is enough (especially if the sun shines through it) to have a nice bright interior and not overexposed exterior. Would be nice to have a similar option in octane. Not sure how maybe shadow brightness similar to AO, or AO that also has diffuse color bleed, more light bounciness, light decay options (like 3ds max fake lights none, inverse, inverse square).

That way it will look more like what you see through human eyes and not through the camera where in order to have a bright interior, exterior is overexposed and almost white.

I just dont understand why we need extra hidden lights, where in real life one sun should give you are very well lit room and not overexposed exterior. Does it mean modern renderers still cannot give you an image quality and brightness of what a human eyes can see inside a well lit interior and a normal brightness exterior? I guess modern renderers try to simulate how camera sees and not human eyes.
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Draydin_r » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:34 am

Draydin_r Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:34 am
Unfortunately, Standardized AO wouldn't be the fast renderer it is with secondary bounces to create diffuse color bleed. Currently what you talking about is the pathtracing/diffuse AO Kernel. Honestly the whole reason that these kernels are more time expensive is that they have to calculate these results. Virtually all rendering software has this limitation.

With regards t rendering matching the eye, it all boils down to the mechanics of sight/cameras. Note that our eyes adjust to the lighting of a room when we enter it, a camera does much the same though use of exposure. To simulate this result you can edit the camera setting in octane to make a dark room brighter. This will also was out anything brighter than the rooms interior light as a cameras exposure would.

There are workarounds to counter each of these effects, there is no such thing as plug and play setting for a finely tailored scene. If your trying to create a realistic interior you either have to create artificial lighting in AO to simulate bounced lighting or accept the slower methods of pathtracing and edit the camera settings.
Intel Core i7 CPU 6850K @ 3.60GHz 128.0 GB Ram / Win 10 64 bit / 1x GeForce RTX 3080
Draydin_r
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)