How do i choose certai nslave GPUs?

Forums: How do i choose certai nslave GPUs?
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

How do i choose certai nslave GPUs?

Postby coilbook » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:02 pm

coilbook Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:02 pm
Hi We have a slave with 3 1080s. We do not want to use he main GPU that is conencted to the monitor. How do i tell slave to only use 2 bottom video cards? Thank you
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: How do i choose certai nslave GPUs?

Postby abstrax » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:52 pm

abstrax Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:52 pm
coilbook wrote:Hi We have a slave with 3 1080s. We do not want to use he main GPU that is conencted to the monitor. How do i tell slave to only use 2 bottom video cards? Thank you

When you install the daemon, you can specify which GPUs should be used.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:09 pm

coilbook Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:09 pm
abstrax wrote:
coilbook wrote:Hi We have a slave with 3 1080s. We do not want to use he main GPU that is conencted to the monitor. How do i tell slave to only use 2 bottom video cards? Thank you

When you install the daemon, you can specify which GPUs should be used.

Hi I tried and i could not. do I just type GTX 1080, GTX 1080. and i have three of them how do i tell it to use two secondary GPUs and not primary one?

Thank you
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:31 am

bepeg4d Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:31 am
Hi coilbook,
you don't need to specify the model of your GPU but the number of GPU, from 0 to 2 in your case. From the manual:
Code: Select all
-g <int>,  --gpu <int>  (accepted multiple times)
 add GPU device to use for rendering (0 = first)

ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby coilbook » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:18 pm

coilbook Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:18 pm
bepeg4d wrote:Hi coilbook,
you don't need to specify the model of your GPU but the number of GPU, from 0 to 2 in your case. From the manual:

ciao beppe

hi i still cannot get it to work. Could you tell me exactly what to type to get two secondary video cards to be used and the top one on the motherboard not to use thank you

Itypes 1, 2 and it used primary one and the third one on the motherboard If i type anything else like 0,1 or 0, 2 Slave just wont run

it says which GPUs should be used Please keep default or enter a coma/space separated list"
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:24 pm

abstrax Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:24 pm
coilbook wrote:

ciao beppe

hi i still cannot get it to work. Could you tell me exactly what to type to get two secondary video cards to be used and the top one on the motherboard not to use thank you

it says which GPUs should be used Please keep default or enter a coma/space separated list"

Please post a screenshot of the device tab (File -> Preferences... -> Devices) of the Standalone on the slave and highlight all device that should be enabled. I will then let you know what to enter during the daemon installation.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:26 pm

coilbook Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:26 pm
abstrax wrote:
coilbook wrote:

ciao beppe

Please post a screenshot of the device tab (File -> Preferences... -> Devices) of the Standalone on the slave and highlight all device that should be enabled. I will then let you know what to enter during the daemon installation.

Hi.

HEre is the screenshot. we do not want to use the card that is connected to the motherboard Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:47 pm

abstrax Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:47 pm
coilbook wrote:Hi.

HEre is the screenshot. we do not want to use the card that is connected to the motherboard Thank you

All GPUs are connected to the motherboard. You probably mean the GPU that is not connected to any displays. There is no way I know of, that would allow Octane or me to figure out which GPUs are used for displays. The only way would be to enable each, render a complex scene and see for which GPUs the GUI performance drops noticable.

Anyway, the daemon installer asks for a list of GPUs that should be used by the slave. You have 3 CUDA GPUs so the possible GPU indices are 1, 2 and 3. If you want to disable GPU 1, you would enter 2,3. If you want to disable GPU 2, you would enter 1,3.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby coilbook » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:58 pm

coilbook Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:58 pm
abstrax wrote:
coilbook wrote:Hi.

All GPUs are connected to the motherboard. You probably mean the GPU that is not connected to any displays. There is no way I know of, that would allow Octane or me to figure out which GPUs are used for displays. The only way would be to enable each, render a complex scene and see for which GPUs the GUI performance drops noticable.

Anyway, the daemon installer asks for a list of GPUs that should be used by the slave. You have 3 CUDA GPUs so the possible GPU indices are 1, 2 and 3. If you want to disable GPU 1, you would enter 2,3. If you want to disable GPU 2, you would enter 1,3.

Thank you !
coilbook
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)