OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.16

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.16
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.16 [latest 2.1x]

Postby raul_pier » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:02 am

raul_pier Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:02 am
Great, Thank you All :P
i7 6 Core Processor | ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11gb x 2
raul_pier
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:07 am

abstrax Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:07 am
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Thanks M!

erm.. maybe Render Layer Passes as a stocking stuffer?.... before xmas?...

timbot_passes.jpg

We were hoping to get it out today, but didn't make it. So next week it will be - very likely on Monday.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 2.16 [current 2.xx]

Postby haikalle » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:45 am

haikalle Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:45 am
Thank you and Merry Christmas!
haikalle
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:37 pm

aoktar Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:37 pm
shawnfrueh wrote:
Reduced the brightness of the daylight environment by a factor of 0.6 for the new daylight model and 0.8 for the old model. This way there is a better match between the texture environment and the daylight environment.

I think this is a bad idea especially when "Should" is used, in a studio's perspective.

We ran into this problem back when the C4D plugin was starting to get developed where moving an old scene to the latest Octane version would require frame blending between the old frames and the new ones due to one being "Brighter" or "Darker" than the other. Sometimes the difference would be to much and the shot would need to be completely re-rendered.

I Would like to suggest that values stay at their first released state. This way if a client comes back in 6 months for a small change we can be confident that the newly rendered frames will match the original frames and not have to deal with any sort of post correction.

Edit: Even though older scenes will be updated, I do not believe the plugin side of things work as such. I have asked Aoktar to add version-ing to materials and tags for this very reason, but it never gets implemented.

there is no exact way which is found by me. Things can be much more complex than you imagine. Any copy/paste or merging operation or etc. can cause to easily break the tracking and estimating the versioning.
Best is to leave it and inform the people.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:40 pm

FrankPooleFloating Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:40 pm
abstrax wrote:
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Thanks M!

erm.. maybe Render Layer Passes as a stocking stuffer?.... before xmas?...

timbot_passes.jpg

We were hoping to get it out today, but didn't make it. So next week it will be - very likely on Monday.

Sprung out of bed with a song in my heart this morning - in anticipation of finally getting to play with Render Layer Passes!.... D'oh! :cry:
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Techie » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Techie Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:30 pm
Thanks and happy new year! :)
Intel i7 930 2.8 GHz | 24 GB | GeForce GTX 980 Ti, 6 GB | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | Houdini FX 17.5 | http://techie.se
Techie
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:29 pm

smicha Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:29 pm
A small bug Guys - when subdivision level is set to 1 and the octane benchmark scene is loaded octane crashes.

Happy New Year :)
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby shawnfrueh » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:23 pm

shawnfrueh Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:23 pm
abstrax wrote:
[*] Removed the pins "Fstop" and "ISO" from the camera imager node, since they only control exposure which is done already by the exposure pin. The only thing these two pins added was confusion, since some people expected the ability to control the depth of field with Fstop. You can find a Lua script graph that emulates the old behaviour here: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=43944

I think we should go back to this topic. I feel that this was a sudden decision that a larger user base still does not know about. Octane at its core is a all about being physically accurate and here we are changing values that solve "confusion" buy removing accuracy. I know you guys here this a lot and it is the best option: Go take a look at Vray.

Here is what I suggest:

You have two crowds when it comes to Cameras, those who know how a camera in the real world works and those who don't. I am one who does not and appreciate simplifying things. But some of the jobs I get require a lot of accuracy and on top of that we have some high end lighting artists that have memorized the correct workings of a camera so I think Octane should go both ways, Simplistic and Advanced. This could then be implemented as a check box that will open the "advanced settings." This will please the technical side of artists and vise versa.

I would like to hear what others have to say about this and if you agree.

-Shawn
shawnfrueh
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:38 pm

funk Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:38 pm
shawnfrueh wrote:You have two crowds when it comes to Cameras, those who know how a camera in the real world works and those who don't. I am one who does not and appreciate simplifying things. But some of the jobs I get require a lot of accuracy and on top of that we have some high end lighting artists that have memorized the correct workings of a camera so I think Octane should go both ways, Simplistic and Advanced. This could then be implemented as a check box that will open the "advanced settings." This will please the technical side of artists and vise versa.

I would like to hear what others have to say about this and if you agree.

I think there is a big misunderstanding here. Octane's Fstop and ISO have never worked like a real camera. A "technical" user who knows how a camera works could never have used them to produce "correct" results. Removing those pins hasn't removed any "accuracy".
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:38 pm

abstrax Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:38 pm
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Sprung out of bed with a song in my heart this morning - in anticipation of finally getting to play with Render Layer Passes!.... D'oh! :cry:

Yes, sorry about that. We really wanted to get it out yesterday, but we found more issues which needed to be fixed. I think we have squashed now all the (known) problems, so I'm pretty confident that we can finally release 2.20 on Monday.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)