Some simple questions to developers...

Forums: Some simple questions to developers...
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

Some simple questions to developers...

Postby anereton » Fri May 18, 2012 4:50 am

anereton Fri May 18, 2012 4:50 am
Hi,

Im on a long night here rendering (GTX460 zzzZZZZzzZZ rs) so i have some questions about the development of octane render, despite beign an excelenet rendering software, i think that have some problems, and everyday im entering in this forum to see some answers and new tricks, and i dont find much nedded information, here some questions:

Im a Architect abd im usign windows 7 64 and Blender 2.63c

- There´s a word about new fetures that going to enter in next build? (texture rotation, render selection, real light parameters, and some crucial stuff?

- Timeframe of updates, even blender have one;

- About blender plugin, any word about it? this is very important thing, a lot of people uses blender, even with cycles in it, i think that OR is much better..

- A button to change all materials to diffuse, glossy or others could help a lot, in the begining of scene config;

- Can i save my render config in kernel? if not that is a important thing to put in future builds;

- Batch render?? save scenes and put a maximum samples, and then OR render the next saved position... can we do that?

- Export in PSD layered? ou XCF (GIMP) layered?

- Store some colors in color selector, for instance, indoor painting, or aspaht color tones, skin tones;

- Auto save previews at x minutes, sometimes power shortage happens;

- More Image Filters, but the kodak kodachrome is amazing;

- Some imagens need some kind of results others not, cand we have a totally biased kernel? the PMS ia almost it;

- Animate camera? to create a walktrough into model...

Sorry if my questions sometimes can be kinda crazy, but im going to stay up all night and the batch render feature righ now coudl sabe my sleep rs.

And another thing, a tutorial database, with tutorials for animation, archviz or any other kind use in OR, i cant see in the forum something like that, like some pre config scenes for some kind of use..

Thanks so much for your answers, sorry about my english, and i if a made wrong question.

P.S: im always try to create a scene like in the gallery and i can get even close to that, for example the first image on architectural gallety is amazing, bu ti dont think that i can reproduce something like that.
Windows 10 pro x64 | Geforce GTX 980| AMD FX-9590 | 8GB DDR3| Octane render 3.03 |
anereton
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Some simple questions to developers...

Postby roeland » Fri May 18, 2012 6:21 am

roeland Fri May 18, 2012 6:21 am
I can answer some of the questions:

There´s a word about new fetures that going to enter in next build? (texture rotation, render selection, real light parameters, and some crucial stuff?
Timeframe of updates, even blender have one;

We have a roadmap, but we don't want to look too far in the future since some priorities may change over time. Currently we are working on instancing support, which should be ready in a few months.

About blender plugin, any word about it? this is very important thing, a lot of people uses blender, even with cycles in it, i think that OR is much better..
There is only the exporter for now. I don't know if it's possible to develop a plugin for Blender because it's licensed under the GPL.

A button to change all materials to diffuse, glossy or others could help a lot, in the begining of scene config;
Octane reads the material type from the OBJ file.

Can i save my render config in kernel? if not that is a important thing to put in future builds;
The config is contained in either the current rendertarget or inside the Preview Configuration macro. You can create additional kernel nodes (and others) there if you want multiple configurations.

Batch render?? save scenes and put a maximum samples, and then OR render the next saved position... can we do that?
You can start OctaneRender with command line arguments to automatically render a scene.

Export in PSD layered? ou XCF (GIMP) layered?
Octane doesn't support rendering layers at the moment.

Store some colors in color selector, for instance, indoor painting, or aspaht color tones, skin tones;
Auto save previews at x minutes, sometimes power shortage happens;
More Image Filters, but the kodak kodachrome is amazing;

Those would be nice features but are not a priority for now.

Some imagens need some kind of results others not, cand we have a totally biased kernel? the PMS ia almost it;
Pathtracing and PMC are unbiased kernels. DirectLighting is biased and has a few options for how indirect light is approximated.

Animate camera? to create a walktrough into model...
This is only supported in the 3DS max plugin. The standalone only supports turntable and daylight animations. The Blender exporter can also render an animation.

Sorry if my questions sometimes can be kinda crazy, but im going to stay up all night and the batch render feature righ now coudl sabe my sleep rs.

And another thing, a tutorial database, with tutorials for animation, archviz or any other kind use in OR, i cant see in the forum something like that, like some pre config scenes for some kind of use..

It is in our forum, it's called the resources and sharing forum.

P.S: im always try to create a scene like in the gallery and i can get even close to that, for example the first image on architectural gallety is amazing, bu ti dont think that i can reproduce something like that.
A lot depends on how detailed the objects and materials in the scene are modeled. I guess you need a lot of time to improve your scenes to that point.

--
Roeland
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Some simple questions to developers...

Postby manalokos » Sat May 19, 2012 1:02 am

manalokos Sat May 19, 2012 1:02 am
Hello Roeland

I'm starting to use Octane for some architectural renderings, modelling with softimage 3D, so I am used to the Rendertree workflow for materials.

I would like to suggest some easy improvements for the node tree.

First of all, it is nice that there are ports for the materials, but it would be great if they could be re-ordered, as sometimes, specially with manby nodes, it is difficult to find out where is each material. (the best would be to make the nodes vertical, and have the names inside the nodes, just as in Softimage's rendertree) But a re-sorting possibility would be great.

I would also encourage you to develop a multifunction mix node, that would work on all types of nodes, textures, materials, etc... unit conversion, and math ops would also be easy to develop.

For rendering Kernel, there would be a nice thing to have if you develop an algorithm that detects the noise levels in each part of the image: you could make the rendering concentrate more on the noisier parts of the image, ( noticed in some renders that some parts of the image are perfect, and other would be extremelly noisy due to low light sampling or reflections of objects)

It would also be great to have a Null material to hide objects.

I'll post more soon.

Best regards
Filipe Alves
manalokos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)