Illegal memory access, system freeze on octane 2020.1

Forums: Illegal memory access, system freeze on octane 2020.1
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Illegal memory access, system freeze on octane 2020.1

Postby lacilaci » Fri May 01, 2020 8:21 am

lacilaci Fri May 01, 2020 8:21 am
Hi, since I only use the free tier version I don't have access to post on bug reports.. So I will post here.

The latest version of octane custom build - free tier (2020.1 octane engine 21.7)
geforce rtx 2070 - nvidia studio drivers (DCH) 442.92 - single gpu also powers displays - rtx is enabled in device settings of octane

every time I create and - or modify lightsource (area light in blender) during realtime viewport rendering after a while I get error message.

Octane server freezes instead of crash, cannot be shutdown from task manager and a while later whole system freezes (memory leak?)
console says this:

"CUDA error 700 on device 0: an illegal memory access was encountered -> failed to wait for event"
device 0: path tracing kernel failed

as I said, a while after whole system halts and it cannot be prevented it seems.
lacilaci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Illegal memory access, system freeze on octane 2020.1

Postby Exow » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:16 pm

Exow Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:16 pm
Same thing here, its so annoying. I reinstalled my drivers so many times and it doesnt want to work.
Exow

Re: Illegal memory access, system freeze on octane 2020.1

Postby bepeg4d » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:14 am

bepeg4d Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:14 am
Hi,
CUDA error 700 is always Nvidia driver related.
Please note that with DCH driver, your system can update automatically the Nvidia driver and this is not good, and safe for you.
You need to use DDU to completely remove the installed drivers, and to remove the automatic Win 10 update option :
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/dis ... nload.html

In this way, you can install Standard versions of Studio Nvidia driver, and Win 10 will not automatically update it.

Then please perform a clean installation of 442.92 Nvidia Studio driver:
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverR ... 9677/en-us

To perform a clean installation, please follow these steps:

ciao Beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Return to Resources and Sharing