Laser through fog/smoke

Forums: Laser through fog/smoke
Post, discuss and share handy resources like textures, models and HDRI maps in this forum.
Forum rules
Please do not post any material that is copyrighted or restricted from public use in any way. OTOY NZ LTD and it's forum members are not liable for any copyright infringements on material in this forum. Please contact us if this is the case and we will remove the material in question.

Laser through fog/smoke

Postby Sprutt » Thu May 30, 2019 3:30 pm

Sprutt Thu May 30, 2019 3:30 pm
Hi,

I'm trying to create a laser shooting a thin layered beam of light through fog or smoke as in the example picture. My attempt(attached below) is not doing it and I don't know how to go about it any other way? I've solved it in Redshift in a similar way, but want to be able to do it in Octane for several reasons, I just can't get there. Is it at all possible? Or perhaps there is a "limit" of the engine itself and how it handles light, falloff etc?

smoke_in_laser1.jpg

Many thanks in advance!
Attachments
LaserInFog_01.zip
(172.67 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Sprutt

Re: Laser through fog/smoke

Postby frankmci » Fri May 31, 2019 7:01 pm

frankmci Fri May 31, 2019 7:01 pm
Laser-show lights are just a particular kind of god-rays, and should work fine. Personally, I prefer a separate textured gobo object for that kind of thing than trying to set it up in a texture on the light object itself. Here I've just got a squiggle line mapped to opacity on a sphere and a light inside, shining into a standard Volume primitive. It's still pretty noisy in 4.x and 2018, but with some patience and higher sampling, it can look good.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 2.58.55 PM.png
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Resources and Sharing