Shall we prolongue the competition for linux users?

Forums: Shall we prolongue the competition for linux users?
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: Shall we prolongue the competition for linux users?

Postby pedrofelipe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:25 pm

pedrofelipe Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:25 pm
andrian wrote:If we prolong the competition, why not prolong it till beta 2.2 with MLT support?

Agree with that!
pedrofelipe
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Chris » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Chris Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:21 pm
+1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby livuxman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:49 pm

livuxman Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:49 pm
The only problem may have with waiting for the MLT, is an improvement of quality, so the people who have already put their results would be the need to rebuild their renders, which can be a nuisance.

I am of the people affected by weaknesses in the linux version and I had to fight to get my scene lighted with ldr instead of hdr, but I have a version, so I at least would not be too damaged if not prolongued.

Cheers
LiVux 64bit | Geforce GTX260 Core 216 and GTX470 | i7 860 | 8Gb | Drivers 275.09.07 | Cuda 4.0.17
livuxman
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:25 pm

radiance Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:25 pm
Hi,

We have decided to prolongue the competition for 1 week after the day we release beta 2.1, which will be some day next week.
As said, the beta2.1 update brings bugfixes, commandline / batch animation rendering (with OBJ only currently), many mac os X related and linux issues fixed, a linux demo version and multi-gpu support, but no MLT yet.
We will release a 2.2 shortly after with MLT, a handfull of days after 2.1.
We decided to do it like this as it's architecturally better to finish multi-gpu support first, and then finish the MLT otherwise we might have to rewrite some of the MLT code afterwards.

This means that we prolongue the competition for beta2.1, to give mac and linux users a fair chance to submit images, however, to keep things fair, i don't think it's a good idea to have people submit MLT images once the 2.2 is out in this competition, as that would'nt be fair towards the submissions that were rendered without.

I'll update the competition information post.

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby mlody47 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:37 am

mlody47 Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:37 am
andrian wrote:If we prolong the competition, why not prolong it till beta 2.2 with MLT support?
pedrofelipe wrote:

Agree with that!
Chris wrote:+1

Is anyone here besides me estimating their work?? I am. And if I estimate my work to end on 18th, then I finish on 18th.
If we prolong ( in this case its obvious why and I agree ) then I have to do something else from 18th till 30th ( becouse i finished on 18th yes? ) and its not the same amount of estimated time for project as from 9th of march till 30th of April. -------Its just example of how I think ( no offense or something like that )

But I find it a great opportunity for windows users who estimated their work and didnt make it :) so its positive for them too.

Oh and I dont agree with that becouse when the beta 2.2 will come out You will want to prolongue till beta 3 etc etc etc.

And I really need to sleep sometimes ;)
i7 2600K + 2X gtx 580 + GTX 560 Ti + 8gbram + Win7 +
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mlody47 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:42 am

mlody47 Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:42 am
radiance wrote:Hi,

We have decided to prolongue the competition for 1 week after the day we release beta 2.1, which will be some day next week.
As said, the beta2.1 update brings bugfixes, commandline / batch animation rendering (with OBJ only currently), many mac os X related and linux issues fixed, a linux demo version and multi-gpu support, but no MLT yet.
We will release a 2.2 shortly after with MLT, a handfull of days after 2.1.
We decided to do it like this as it's architecturally better to finish multi-gpu support first, and then finish the MLT otherwise we might have to rewrite some of the MLT code afterwards.

This means that we prolongue the competition for beta2.1, to give mac and linux users a fair chance to submit images, however, to keep things fair, i don't think it's a good idea to have people submit MLT images once the 2.2 is out in this competition, as that would'nt be fair towards the submissions that were rendered without.

I'll update the competition information post.

Radiance

+10 ( bugfixes )
+100 ( cammandline / batch animation OBJ )
+50 ( mac os X related and linux issues fixed )
+1000 ( multi-gpu support )

MAAAAN , when You release final version 1.0, Octane team will be in some sort of GOD MODE :mrgreen:
i7 2600K + 2X gtx 580 + GTX 560 Ti + 8gbram + Win7 +
AUTODESK SOFTIMAGE 2012
www.behance.net/mlody47
mlody47
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Competitions