Surprise bonus material competition (CLOSED)

Forums: Surprise bonus material competition (CLOSED)
A forum which hosts Octane Render Artwork Competitions
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Postby areafilm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:23 pm

areafilm Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:23 pm
My SHI-FI emitters...
Attachments
Orange_Emitter.jpg
areafilm
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Surprise 3-day bonus material competition (OPEN)

Postby kubo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm

kubo Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm
wood board floor semiprocedural Beta 0.1
wood boards 01.jpg

wood boards 02.jpg

I've wanted to do this material for a while, althou I have to admit I was waiting for a procedural tile node to be added to octane. Instead of tile procedurals I did 2 (crappy) tile maps, one for the board indentures and another one to have some tonal variations between boards, so I might as well seize the oportunity to ask such neat procedural to be added, pretty pleeeeease ;)
Plenty of pins for easy tweaking of main properties, but I would also like to ask (you can always say no, hehehe) if a global scale node could be added, 'cause since I've got the veins with a float2 scale and the tiles with a float 1 and they have to be different scales, I would like to add a pin to control overall scale yet keep their proportions. And in case there is a way to do it but I'm just to dumb to see it (which is more likely), please point me out in the right direction.
I'll try to improve it, and if anyone has any suggestions or has fun playing with it and make any improvement feel free to upgrade it to beta 0.2 and upload it.
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Postby abstrax » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:56 am

abstrax Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:56 am
Regarding the upload of material macros with images: It is possible, but we had a size limit of 8MB per macro. We have increased the limit to 16MB now.

But please make sure that your used textures are not too big (less than 16MB). You can check the total size of a macro by saving it on disk.

The less data is stored in the macro the faster it is to download them from the LiveDB. In a future release we will display the size of a macro in the outliner, so you can see it before you download the macro.

Cheers,
Marcus
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby PolygonPusher » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:59 am

PolygonPusher Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:59 am
thanks for clearing that up, I guess I thought wrong.

abstrax wrote:Regarding the upload of material macros with images: It is possible, but we had a size limit of 8MB per macro. We have increased the limit to 16MB now.

But please make sure that your used textures are not too big (less than 16MB). You can check the total size of a macro by saving it on disk.

The less data is stored in the macro the faster it is to download them from the LiveDB. In a future release we will display the size of a macro in the outliner, so you can see it before you download the macro.

Cheers,
Marcus
polyon-pushers.org| Flickr| twitter | vimeo
spec: i7 975 3.33ghz | 12 gigs ram | gtx 260 - 195 cuda cores | win 7 64bit | blender 3d | Octane 2.43
IRC: freenode - #blenderchat - #blendercoders - #octanerender
PolygonPusher
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Elvissuperstar007 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:24 am

Elvissuperstar007 Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:24 am
abstrax wrote:Regarding the upload of material macros with images: It is possible, but we had a size limit of 8MB per macro. We have increased the limit to 16MB now.

Cheers,
Marcus

it should be written at the beginning of the competition in the recommendation)
win 7 /64x C2Quad 6600 2.4/ Nvidia 9800 GX2 1gb 512 bit + Asus 480 GTX/ DDR2 8Gb / NVIDIA 460 GTX 2GB/2x NVIDIA 580 GTX 3GB
Page octane render " В Контакте " http://vkontakte.ru/club17913093
Elvissuperstar007
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 pm

matej Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:32 pm
Hm, I uploaded two times this material and it doesn't show up (size is very small)...

* Materials/non-organic/cloth - Camouflage Generic v2 b243
* Macro size: 150 KB (one 256x256 grayscale image)

slika-1.jpg

Anyway, this is supposed to be useful for creating generic looking camouflage. It's a little messy on inputs (I might redo it) - there's no exact science how to use it, the primary & secondary colors (min & max in the gradient) are the main colors, the Color_Shade input multiplies them and ads the result to the gradient. Basically just tweak the colors and gradient sliders, and you'll get something useful. Or not. It's possible to control the scale of the pattern and stitches.

I was able to satisfactory mimic two real camo patterns:
camo-partizan-summer.jpg

camo2-partizan-autumn.jpg

IDEA -> Implement a system that will allow the creator or users to upload presets for some material, ie. different variations of input parameters for some macro. You could then choose this presets from a dropdown.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kubo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 pm

kubo Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:48 pm
matej wrote:IDEA -> Implement a system that will allow the creator or users to upload presets for some material, ie. different variations of input parameters for some macro. You could then choose this presets from a dropdown.

Totally cool idea, also it would be great to be able to delete your materials or even better to substitute them for updated ones (I'm thinking mainly of major screwups like myself ;) )
windows 7 x64 | 2xGTX570 (warming up the planet 1ºC at a time) | i7 920 | 12GB
kubo

Postby matej » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 pm

matej Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 pm
kubo wrote:but I would also like to ask (you can always say no, hehehe) if a global scale node could be added, 'cause since I've got the veins with a float2 scale and the tiles with a float 1 and they have to be different scales, I would like to add a pin to control overall scale yet keep their proportions.

I second that (asked for it months ago) - ie. a multiply float node, that you can use to apply different scale factors for textures, yet use only one scale input pin from the outside. This way you can proportionally scale the whole thing, without the need to add pins for every different scale you have in your macro system.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:53 pm

matej Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:53 pm
kubo wrote:also it would be great to be able to delete your materials or even better to substitute them for updated ones (I'm thinking mainly of major screwups like myself ;) )

Second that, also. If not delete, an overwrite function should be available (I also need to re-tweak and change my mind often :)).
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Number » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:43 pm

Number Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:43 pm
matej wrote:Hm, I uploaded two times this material and it doesn't show up (size is very small)...

* Materials/non-organic/cloth - Camouflage Generic v2 b243
* Macro size: 150 KB (one 256x256 grayscale image)

slika-1.jpg

Anyway, this is supposed to be useful for creating generic looking camouflage. It's a little messy on inputs (I might redo it) - there's no exact science how to use it, the primary & secondary colors (min & max in the gradient) are the main colors, the Color_Shade input multiplies them and ads the result to the gradient. Basically just tweak the colors and gradient sliders, and you'll get something useful. Or not. It's possible to control the scale of the pattern and stitches.

I was able to satisfactory mimic two real camo patterns:
camo-partizan-summer.jpg

camo2-partizan-autumn.jpg

IDEA -> Implement a system that will allow the creator or users to upload presets for some material, ie. different variations of input parameters for some macro. You could then choose this presets from a dropdown.

@matej to neka jugonostalgija??? tito partizani yuga itd hahaha :D
Number

PreviousNext

Return to Competitions