Solaris viewport incorrect color space issue

Forums: Solaris viewport incorrect color space issue
Hydra Solaris

Solaris viewport incorrect color space issue

Postby christofferb » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:17 am

christofferb Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:17 am
I’m having trouble achieving the correct color in the Solaris viewport.

While using Octane with ACEScg, the Octane IPR works well, and it renders with the correct color space at the OBJ level and in Solaris. However, in the Solaris viewport, I’m encountering an issue. Karma XPU and Redshift display the correct color in the viewport (and render correctly), does Octane handle this in a different way?

I’ve set up a small scene where I’m using color references (color checker textures) in different color spaces. Strangely, it appears that Octane consistently uses ACES2065-1 as the transform for the Solaris viewport, regardless of other settings.

The images in the "output" folder are the rendered images converted from ACEScg to sRGB using the “ACES 1.0 - SDR Video”. Everything matches except for the Octane Solaris viewport.

I guess I am overlooking something, but I just can't figure this out. Any insights would be great!
Attachments
hou_octane_solaris_acescg_viewport_issue.zip
(21.24 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
christofferb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Solaris viewport incorrect color space issue

Postby BK » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:04 am

BK Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:04 am
christofferb wrote:I’m having trouble achieving the correct color in the Solaris viewport.

While using Octane with ACEScg, the Octane IPR works well, and it renders with the correct color space at the OBJ level and in Solaris. However, in the Solaris viewport, I’m encountering an issue. Karma XPU and Redshift display the correct color in the viewport (and render correctly), does Octane handle this in a different way?

I’ve set up a small scene where I’m using color references (color checker textures) in different color spaces. Strangely, it appears that Octane consistently uses ACES2065-1 as the transform for the Solaris viewport, regardless of other settings.

The images in the "output" folder are the rendered images converted from ACEScg to sRGB using the “ACES 1.0 - SDR Video”. Everything matches except for the Octane Solaris viewport.

I guess I am overlooking something, but I just can't figure this out. Any insights would be great!

Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for the files.

*does Octane handle this in a different way?*
- Hydra Solaris Viewport render requires a linear image and Aces tonemapped is applied internally. Please enable the Octane Viewport from the tools tab to see the render output.
OctaneSolaris has no control over the Viewport render tone mapping.

*The images in the "output" folder are the rendered images converted from ACEScg to sRGB using the “ACES 1.0 - SDR Video”. Everything matches except for the Octane Solaris viewport.*
- Please note, the *ACES tonemapping* option in Camera>Octane>Imager was not enabled in the file since you were using Octane internal ACEScg.
- We need two step for built-in Acestonemapping,
1. Enable the *ACES tone mapping* option from the Camera node.
and 2. Choose the *Color Space* dropdown from the Octane>output tab for Linear, ACEScg and ACES-2065-1 or OCIO if the .config file are loaded via env.

The render result between Standalone and Solaris seems to be matching!

We are still investigating, please let me know if we missed any steps.

cheers
Attachments
SASolaris.png
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Hydra Solaris