Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Re: Importing orbx file into UE5 via Octane plugin - various is

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:32 am

ChrisHekman Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:32 am
MB wrote:
Octane to UE5 MATERIAL MAPPING.pdf

Chris,

Here is a document detailing what I have encountered in the current mapping of octane materials to UE5.
Good news is it is not difficult to get a fairly faithful reproduction inside of UE.

I hope it helps, let me know if you have more questions

Best

Mark

These are by far the best reproduction steps I have ever gotten from a user.
Ill see what I can do. I have to finish another feature first, ill definitely look into these.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Importing orbx file into UE5 via Octane plugin - various is

Postby MB » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:08 pm

MB Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:08 pm
Chris,

It's taken me a long time to get back to my UE project.

Did you ever implement any of the discussion in this thread?
I have installed your latest plugin and UE 5.3, when I import an orbx file (attached) into a blank game project.
all of the previews look blank.

take textures for example;
Every UE preview of the texture in the folder is a checker box icon, I need to double click to make it show up.
(so it is getting imported, which is good.)

take materials folder for example;
Every UE preview of the material shows a checkered ball. If I dbl click on the ball for an Octane I get a sensible looking graph of the material, however
if the Octane material uses images textures, they are not wired up, I can wire them manually, but still the preview remains a checkered ball.
If I click on a previz material I get a node graph with all the nodes stacked on top of each other and a checkered ball representing the material
Non-image-based textures/materials have different issues, again their preview never shows up correctly. In the case of the Octane Material, they look correct, but the previz version does not.

The geometry does not appear to have any materials assigned to it, and I'm also confused as I seem to get a set of materials in the geometry folder, that are all white, but are named the same as
the materials in the obj file before it was imported into octane, but the colors, transparency, reflectivity etcetera don't match these initial conditions. The import process has thus produced three sets of material when once there was one, none of them appear to preview properly, two of them don't appear to be translating properly, and I can't tell if any are actually assigned to the geometry.

If I drag the geometry into the blank and the drag a material onto an element in the scene, instead of looking like the actual material, it looks like it does in the preview.
I'm utterly confused as this seems to have worked better a year ago.

I'm wondering what the primary objective of Octane for Unreal is. Is it to bring octane quality rendering of still images from inside a preexisting, pre materialized pre lit UE Game?
and if so is bringing in something from Octane itself via orbx a bit of an afterthought and the expectation is that a user would assign UE materials and lights built outside of octane to the octane asset? So accurate translation of these things is an edge case and doesn't matter?

I'm trying to move a final octane scene to the gaming engine so I can get it to an Oculus Quest device, Octane is so much easier to use to light and assign materials to geometry than UE, so I want our users to do
that work in Octane, and do preferably nothing in UE other than save it for the VR device type. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I be finding an engine that can import an asset properly, something neither Unity or Unreal seem to be able to do.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Grouped by Material.orbx
orbx file I'm using as a test
(10.19 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
Windows 11, 2x Intel I9, 64GB Ram, 2x GTX 1080 TI, 1 x RTX 380 TI, Oculus Quest 2
MB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Bug Reports