Crashing with high polycounts?

Forums: Crashing with high polycounts?
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Crashing with high polycounts?

Postby EJaworenko » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:33 pm

EJaworenko Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:33 pm
I'm running UE5.3.2 with Octane 2023.1.1 - 0.73 and have been trying to test out Octane in UE for use at our studio but am running into some really simple things that are stopping me from being able to do... much at all.

I ran a test scene, the default "Open World" template and tried adding a couple trees that are quite high res nanite meshes. Something like 2.5mil polys each. The trees have a separate infected mesh which is closer to 12mil polygons on each tree as well.
These were spread using PCG, so they're classified as instance meshes even though there is only 1 of each static mesh per tree. There are also a few thousand plants spread at the base of the trees (PCG) that sit on the landscape.
The idea is that there is supposed to be a forest, and in UE by itself we actually poke at the 16mil nanite mesh limit sometimes if we're not careful.

Octane actually will crash if I have 1 tree with the 12mil infected mesh on it in this otherwise empty scene. The landscape also doesn't appear unless I enable nanite on it (not an issue, was just curious about why). If I don't have the infected mesh, I can get up to 6-7 trees before it crashes but we have more like 100k trees in this scene with it rendering in UE, we just hoped for Octane to be able to help us with some more FX-pipeline issues we would like to solve.

Am I doing things wrong or am I running into some fundamental restrictions with Octane as a render engine in UE?
EJaworenko

Return to Bug Reports