Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:20 pm

ChrisHekman Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:20 pm
Octane for Unreal Engine

Changes:
  • Upgraded to Octane 2023.1
  • Materials: Added logging when the converted material OSL does not compile
  • UI: Added UI for the octane gradient node
  • Optimization: Time to render has been reduced
  • Optimization: Rendering speed has been somewhat increased for almost every scene
  • Optimization: Optimized rectlight and spotlights
  • Lights: Added support for shadow casting setting on Directional lights

Fixes:
  • Spotlights no longer leave tiny reflections in the scene
  • UI: Fixed issue where color picker on color nodes would not change value when exiting
  • UI: Fixed issue where color picker would not reset to the original color when cancel is presses
  • ORBX Import: Fixed issue where textures would not get connected unpon importing with orbx conversion
  • ORBX Import: Fixed issue where models inside nodegraphs would not get converted over
  • Lights: Fixed issue where rectlights were slightly too bright
  • Materials: Fixed material conversion bug when downcasting from float3 to float1
  • Materials: Fixed various issues with opacity and backsides

UE 5.3
Studio+ Installer: https://www.otoyserver.com/unrealengine ... _UE5_3.exe
Free Version Installer: https://www.otoyserver.com/unrealengine ... _UE5_3.exe

UE 5.2
Studio+ Installer: https://www.otoyserver.com/unrealengine ... _UE5_2.exe
Free Version Installer: https://www.otoyserver.com/unrealengine ... _UE5_2.exe
Last edited by ChrisHekman on Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: Octane 2023.1 for Unreal Engine - 0.71

Postby solomon » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:47 am

solomon Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:47 am
Thanks for the update. Is the MetaHuman skin shader supported? currently in in UE 5.3, its rendering black
Solomon W. Jagwe
3D Artist/Animator/Modeler | Independent Film Director
http://www.sowl.com | http://www.galiwango.com | http://www.nkozaandnankya.com
solomon
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jaspirit » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:17 pm

Jaspirit Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:17 pm
I'm having an issue while installing this plugin, once installed it appears a window telling me:
Plugin 'OctanePlugin' failed to load because module 'OctanePlugin' could not be loaded. There may be an operating system error or the module may not be properly set up
After that message the UE5 shuts down. If anyone knows the solution pls let me know
Thank you
Jaspirit

Postby ChrisHekman » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:27 pm

ChrisHekman Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:27 pm
Jaspirit wrote:I'm having an issue while installing this plugin, once installed it appears a window telling me:
Plugin 'OctanePlugin' failed to load because module 'OctanePlugin' could not be loaded. There may be an operating system error or the module may not be properly set up
After that message the UE5 shuts down. If anyone knows the solution pls let me know
Thank you

What version of unreal are you using?
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby KosmaDev » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:00 pm

KosmaDev Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:00 pm
Hello, I currently use Unreal Engine 5.3.2, and my problem is that it does not do any type of render, it is as if Octane did not exist, it simply does not do anything, neither with videos nor with still images, and for some reason when I try to open Octane's viewer gets stuck and Unreal Engine closes. The thing here is that this didn't happen to me a week ago in Unreal Engine 5.3.1.

I don't know if it could be that Octane has not been updated for this version of Unreal Engine? Whatever it is, I can't render my projects with Octane because of this error.

Any help is welcome, thank you!!!
KosmaDev

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:35 pm

ChrisHekman Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:35 pm
KosmaDev wrote:Hello, I currently use Unreal Engine 5.3.2, and my problem is that it does not do any type of render, it is as if Octane did not exist, it simply does not do anything, neither with videos nor with still images, and for some reason when I try to open Octane's viewer gets stuck and Unreal Engine closes. The thing here is that this didn't happen to me a week ago in Unreal Engine 5.3.1.

I don't know if it could be that Octane has not been updated for this version of Unreal Engine? Whatever it is, I can't render my projects with Octane because of this error.

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=82644

I put out a new build that should have this issue fixed
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:03 pm

ChrisHekman Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:03 pm
solomon wrote:Thanks for the update. Is the MetaHuman skin shader supported? currently in in UE 5.3, its rendering black

This seems to be a bug in Unreal itself. The material function MF_HeadMask_TexArraySample has an incorrect texture sample node. When you set it to linear the material works
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby KosmaDev » Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:53 am

KosmaDev Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:53 am
ChrisHekman wrote:
KosmaDev wrote:Hello, I currently use Unreal Engine 5.3.2, and my problem is that it does not do any type of render, it is as if Octane did not exist, it simply does not do anything, neither with videos nor with still images, and for some reason when I try to open Octane's viewer gets stuck and Unreal Engine closes. The thing here is that this didn't happen to me a week ago in Unreal Engine 5.3.1.

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=82644

I put out a new build that should have this issue fixed

Hello, thank you very much, I have been using it this weekend and so far it is working perfectly, I hope nothing breaks along the way :shock:

Thank you!!!
KosmaDev

Postby warpdrive » Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:39 am

warpdrive Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:39 am
Well... unfortunately Octane Render is currently unsuitable for Unreal Engine. Usually Unreal Engine does not use this for rendering characters or archives. This is an engine for creating an open world with thousands of textures, materials and objects. Unfortunately, Octane Render cannot work with a large number of textures and crashes. I tried to optimize the scene for four days, I even reduced the textures to 128*128, but it didn’t help.
Question to the developers: How did you test Octane in UE? On empty stages? Because in other scenes he crashes. :cry:
warpdrive

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:25 am

ChrisHekman Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:25 am
warpdrive wrote:Well... unfortunately Octane Render is currently unsuitable for Unreal Engine. Usually Unreal Engine does not use this for rendering characters or archives. This is an engine for creating an open world with thousands of textures, materials and objects. Unfortunately, Octane Render cannot work with a large number of textures and crashes. I tried to optimize the scene for four days, I even reduced the textures to 128*128, but it didn’t help.
Question to the developers: How did you test Octane in UE? On empty stages? Because in other scenes he crashes. :cry:

Going over the memory limit should not always create a crash. There might be a bug that causes the crashes that we havnt encountered during testing. Could you provide us with one of your scenes that crashes?

Additionally, work is being done for Octane to work better with large scenes in the future which would make the unreal plugin work much better.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Next

Return to Releases