VDB animation not progressing

Forums: VDB animation not progressing
Unreal® Engine Integrated Plugin

Moderator: ChrisHekman

VDB animation not progressing

Postby vubangers » Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:56 am

vubangers Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:56 am
Hey was hoping anyone can assist or point me in the right direction.

Using Octane plugin version 0.73

I have simple scene:
1.WW2 plane animation
2.Smoke trail VDB saved as an ORBX file.
3.Camera with animation data ported over from Nuke's Camera Tracker.

The scene is animated in a level sequencer over 140 frames.

When I run the UE5 legacy movie sequencer to export the EXR, the camera track and plane animation works as intended. but the VDB would be stuck on the starting rendered frame.
Say I start rendering in movie sequencer half way (frame 70) the VDB would render that frame as intended along with camera and plane. But after frame 70 the plane and camera would animate as intended but the VDB would be stuck on frame 70 for the remainder of the EXR sequence.

I scrubbed through the VDB in Octane GUI and it appears to progresses through the animation .But for some reason UE5 movie render sequence doesnt pick up the updated VDB frame, when it goes through the render process.

I tried to export the entire animated scene as an ORBX so I can render it out inside OctaneGUI but for some reason its not picking up the camera animation data on export. I check the camera transformation in rendertargetnode and it remains static.

Not sure if this is a bug or and error on my end. I'm tempted to port my project to Octane blender to get this scene running.
vubangers

Re: VDB animation not progressing

Postby ChrisHekman » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:16 pm

ChrisHekman Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:16 pm
vubangers wrote:Hey was hoping anyone can assist or point me in the right direction.

Using Octane plugin version 0.73

I have simple scene:
1.WW2 plane animation
2.Smoke trail VDB saved as an ORBX file.
3.Camera with animation data ported over from Nuke's Camera Tracker.

The scene is animated in a level sequencer over 140 frames.

When I run the UE5 legacy movie sequencer to export the EXR, the camera track and plane animation works as intended. but the VDB would be stuck on the starting rendered frame.
Say I start rendering in movie sequencer half way (frame 70) the VDB would render that frame as intended along with camera and plane. But after frame 70 the plane and camera would animate as intended but the VDB would be stuck on frame 70 for the remainder of the EXR sequence.

I scrubbed through the VDB in Octane GUI and it appears to progresses through the animation .But for some reason UE5 movie render sequence doesnt pick up the updated VDB frame, when it goes through the render process.

I tried to export the entire animated scene as an ORBX so I can render it out inside OctaneGUI but for some reason its not picking up the camera animation data on export. I check the camera transformation in rendertargetnode and it remains static.

Not sure if this is a bug or and error on my end. I'm tempted to port my project to Octane blender to get this scene running.

I tried to recreate issue but found different behavior than what you describe. Could you share your scene with me?
Please migrate out your scene using this guide: https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.3/en-US ... al-engine/
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: VDB animation not progressing

Postby vubangers » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:02 am

vubangers Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:02 am
Hi Chris Thanks for the reply.

I migrated the scene into a new project so I can share it with you and I decided to rerun the project and somehow its working now. Will migrate the assets over to this new UE5 project file.

Nuke to UE5 to Octane and back to Nuke is now a viable workflow solution for me . phhhheww!

UE5 Render sequence video is located here.
https://youtu.be/qzzypwgSRnE
vubangers

Return to Unreal® Engine