World Position Offset

Forums: World Position Offset
Unreal® Engine Integrated Plugin

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Re: World Position Offset

Postby joshuamkerr » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:41 am

joshuamkerr Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:41 am
Hi Chris,

Did you get a chance to have a peek at this. Am I missing something very obvious here?
joshuamkerr

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:50 pm

ChrisHekman Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:50 pm
joshuamkerr wrote:Hi Chris,

Did you get a chance to have a peek at this. Am I missing something very obvious here?

Sorry I had time off the last two weeks.
Your setup does displacement on my machine.
However you need to take into account that octane vector displacement only supports object space vectors, or object space heightmap as input.
Unreal uses world space vectors. You would need to change the unreal values to either be in object space, or be a heightmap - depending on what you selected on the node.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Jani » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:24 pm

Jani Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:24 pm

Yes I saw you popping up the comments the other day. The render did take a while. I did as much optimising as I could in the time I took to build the scene (lowering texture sizes mainly)...

Hi Chris,

Sorry to interject into what is another subject entirely, but I've also run into issues where if I'm using mega scans assets, or other unreal assets for that matter, that they can take a hell of a lot of VRAM - I mean, surreal amounts(I have 2x 3090 and the one that's NOT running unreal can easily jump into 16GB of VRAM usage for what is essentially a very light scene). Do you think it would be hard to implement a quick 'down-res' button that would take 4k or 8k textures within the scene and bake them onto a lower res texture(say 2k), and then you could toggle which ones you wanted to be high res individually(so you could revert back to original resolution for textures close to the camera for example).

Also, Jules said that the yet unreleased Unreal plugin contains the quick mode which allows for a much more seamless syncing between the UE viewport and the Octane one.. Is there an ETA for that release? Don't need to be precise, just like, a month or a couple of months would suffice.

Best regards,

Jani
i9 9920X, 64GB, RTX 2080Ti
Ryzen 1800x, 64GB, 2x RTX 3090
Jani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisHekman » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:45 am

ChrisHekman Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:45 am
Jani wrote:

Yes I saw you popping up the comments the other day. The render did take a while. I did as much optimising as I could in the time I took to build the scene (lowering texture sizes mainly)...

Hi Chris,

Sorry to interject into what is another subject entirely, but I've also run into issues where if I'm using mega scans assets, or other unreal assets for that matter, that they can take a hell of a lot of VRAM - I mean, surreal amounts(I have 2x 3090 and the one that's NOT running unreal can easily jump into 16GB of VRAM usage for what is essentially a very light scene). Do you think it would be hard to implement a quick 'down-res' button that would take 4k or 8k textures within the scene and bake them onto a lower res texture(say 2k), and then you could toggle which ones you wanted to be high res individually(so you could revert back to original resolution for textures close to the camera for example).

Also, Jules said that the yet unreleased Unreal plugin contains the quick mode which allows for a much more seamless syncing between the UE viewport and the Octane one.. Is there an ETA for that release? Don't need to be precise, just like, a month or a couple of months would suffice.

Best regards,

Jani

You can set the texture lod bias in unreal textures, the octane plugin will then use this lod instead of the highest lod. So instead of 8, it will use 4 if you set the lod bias to 1.

I dont have an ATM for that project. Effectively it works now - but only with and experimental build of octane. This feature isnt in 2022.RC1, so im not sure if it will be part of the upcomming 2022 builds.
But it would most likely not help you with your vram problem - as the only data it could save is 1 texture the size of your filmbuffer - and in certain cases can end up using more vram data.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Jani » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:34 pm

Jani Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:34 pm
Thanks Chris.

Didn't realise UE's LOD's actually translated over to octane.

Also, when I said 'quick mode' I actually meant the 'Realtime mode' - I don't mean Brigade or anything fancy like that, but the real-time mode did ship since XB0(the little flash icon), and is definitely part of RC1+ - it's just a nice FPS boost so that both of the viewports can update instantaneously. Is that possible to implement into the 2022.1 build?.

Best regards,

Jani
i9 9920X, 64GB, RTX 2080Ti
Ryzen 1800x, 64GB, 2x RTX 3090
Jani
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:19 am

Goldorak Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:19 am
I think 2022 a least can sort of do world space vertex displacement (as long as the mesh is a unique model and not instanced per displacement). Let me know if that doesn't work.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:49 pm

ChrisHekman Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:49 pm
Jani wrote:Thanks Chris.

Didn't realise UE's LOD's actually translated over to octane.

Also, when I said 'quick mode' I actually meant the 'Realtime mode' - I don't mean Brigade or anything fancy like that, but the real-time mode did ship since XB0(the little flash icon), and is definitely part of RC1+ - it's just a nice FPS boost so that both of the viewports can update instantaneously. Is that possible to implement into the 2022.1 build?.

Best regards,

Jani

Realtime mode will be part of the 2022.1 once we ship it with the plugin. ATM though it turns off octane render results in the unreal editor, and you can only view renderresults in the octane gui. It is much faster though.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Previous

Return to Unreal® Engine