Improve Triplanar Map Design and Functionality

Forums: Improve Triplanar Map Design and Functionality
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Improve Triplanar Map Design and Functionality

Postby AlexeyAdamitsky » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:12 pm

AlexeyAdamitsky Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:12 pm
I'd like to ask for a better Triplanar Map design and functionality.

Can we please cleanup up the Triplanar Node to make it more readable and remove unnecessary elements?

What are the issues with the node?

1. Usability. It's quite difficult to setup. You need to make 6 node socket connections to make it work. You can often miss in input socket so it makes it even more click-and-drag action.

The new design solves it easily with the default checkbox option X+ Axis for All. Making it default option you improve the setup speed by at least 600% (if you connect all sockets on first try) or more. I rarely if ever need separate axis access to control triangular texture map.

2. Usability. It connects the wrong socket on drag-and-drop action to the wire. You have to fix it afterwards adding more setup type.

It's most likely has to be programmed differently so the first socket that the node drops to should be X+ Axis Texture.

Fixing this and previous usability issues will increase the setup speed of Triplanar Map node at least by 800%. This will be a huge improvement in ease of use.

3. Clutter/Readability. The current node has a lot of elements and long texts. It makes it very heavy visually and difficult to read. You also don't follow Blender design conventions for drop-down menus for some reason. It makes no sense to me since the readability suffers anyway if you try to squeeze both text label and drop-down menu on the same row. It's not meant to be done like this.

I appreciate you adding button to node sockets. You've probably spent quite some time implementing this system. It's a nice touch. Although, to be honest I almost never used it anyway. But since Blender implemented improved socket drag-search-and-drop functionality for the nodes I think your custom system isn't needed anymore and you should move to Blender's native system for this removing unnecessary extra buttons and cleaning up nodes design.

4. Missing Features. I'd like to ask for additional functionality. I know it's probably not the place since it's general Octane request. Still it makes sense in the overall request thread.

Please add Blend Curve option to adjust the sharpness of the blending. The request is inspired by Redshift triplanar node functionality.

AlexeyAdamitsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Improve Triplanar Map Design and Functionality

Postby linograndiotoy » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:28 am

linograndiotoy Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:28 am
Those are nice suggestion. Some of them would need to be implemented in Standalone first.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby elsksa » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:17 am

elsksa Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:17 am
AlexeyAdamitsky wrote:1. Usability. It's quite difficult to setup. You need to make 6 node socket connections to make it work. You can often miss in input socket so it makes it even more click-and-drag action.

Standalone has this efficient node-plugging functionality:
elsksa
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Andreas_Resch » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:46 am

Andreas_Resch Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:46 am
Those are great suggestions. I second those.
Andreas_Resch

Return to User Requests