Imager/post UI/UX issues

Forums: Imager/post UI/UX issues
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Re: Imager/post UI/UX issues

Postby Andreas_Resch » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:22 pm

Andreas_Resch Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:22 pm
Hey.

ad 1) I'm not a fan of having "no imager". I don't see a reason why the user should be left in limbo without knowing which settings are responsible for their outcome.

ad 2) If you want to adjust the settings of the camera imager and want to see what it does, you need to check the "Use Camera (Render Mode) Settings" checkbox in the preview and adjust your settings in the camera imager panel(s).

ad 3) When the checkbox in the camera imager is checked, it will always use the camera imager settings. No matter what is set in the preview. If the checkbox is unchecked, the camera imager will use the preview settings. In my suggestion there is no way to have the preview settings override the camera settings if the checkbox is checked. But that would in fact require additional checkboxes. But then we risk the extra confusion again.
Andreas_Resch

Postby J.C » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:45 pm

J.C Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:45 pm
ad 3) When the checkbox in the camera imager is checked, it will always use the camera imager settings. No matter what is set in the preview. If the checkbox is unchecked, the camera imager will use the preview settings. In my suggestion there is no way to have the preview settings override the camera settings if the checkbox is checked. But that would in fact require additional checkboxes. But then we risk the extra confusion again.

This is what I proposed. Enabling Imager on Camera object disables the Global imager in 3d viewport panel but only for this specific camera. I don't see a point of having extra scenarios you described. This one will be enough.
Also there should not be any Preview or Render mode labels but Global settings and Override:

panels.png
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Andreas_Resch » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:51 pm

Andreas_Resch Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:51 pm
For me that would not work. I would miss the option to quickly test settings in the preview panel and I would always have to go into some "Global" menu to adjust settings that I just need in the viewport. I also don't want to have my final render settings displayed in the preview unless I intentionally say so. I'd rather stick with the current system then and use my addon override.
Andreas_Resch

Postby J.C » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:32 pm

J.C Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:32 pm
I don't want the Imager to be removed from 3d viewport window. It should stay there as it is now. What I'm saying this should called "Camera Imager (Global Setting)" and be used for all cameras that has no imager enabled in Camera object properties.
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Andreas_Resch » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:36 pm

Andreas_Resch Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:36 pm
Well. Then we are back at my suggestion which functions exactly like that. You can call it purple grasshopper - I don't care. As long as it simplifies the process.
Andreas_Resch

Postby J.C » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:59 pm

J.C Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:59 pm
Not exactly like that. You have added unnecessary option to enable or disable Imager on camera object and removed the toggle to disable Imager completely.
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Andreas_Resch » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:05 pm

Andreas_Resch Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:05 pm
I made a point for the removal of the checkbox. But if there is a case for which this box is a valuable option, why not. In my case it will always be ON. No reason for it to be OFF.

And just because the checkbox is "unnecessary" for you doesn't mean that that's the case for me (or other users). I'd like to have the option to be able to quickly preview/check my camera imager settings. On top of that, this checkbox let's you immediately see if the active camera has the camera imager turned ON or OFF. I consider this a very valuable feature.
Andreas_Resch

Postby J.C » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:48 pm

J.C Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:48 pm
I'd like to have the option to be able to quickly preview/check my camera imager settings.

I use same camera imager settings when working in 3d preview window and for final render. I don't see a point to have different settings when working on a scene.
Having a camera imager switch for an active camera in 3d preview window might be confusing. This gives two ways to enable or disable imager in camera object. Let's try make the workflow simpler as you noticed earlier.

Take a look how it is done in C4D with Octane plugin or Redshift. There is a global camera imager settings for all cameras or an override in active Camera object. It can't be any simpler.
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Andreas_Resch » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:10 pm

Andreas_Resch Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:10 pm
I've made my case and I'm not wasting any more time on this. If whatever comes makes it easier, fine. If not I'll change the code myself or write an addon.
Andreas_Resch

Postby J.C » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:31 pm

J.C Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:31 pm
Yes, sure. I'm done with this too. We've so many posts about this ann now the decision is up to developers. I hope they will consider our points and improve the overall experience.
System – Windows 11
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Bug Reports