Upsampling issue

Forums: Upsampling issue
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Upsampling issue

Postby Andreas_Resch » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:19 am

Andreas_Resch Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:19 am
There might be a bug with upsampling. First of all, it seems to kick in even when the parent checkbox is unchecked. And then it shears the scene sideways. I've attached a video showing the issue.

Blender 3.6, Addon V28.5, Windows 10
Attachments
Octane285_Upsampling_01.zip
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 33 times
Andreas_Resch

Re: Upsampling issue

Postby linograndiotoy » Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:34 am

linograndiotoy Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:34 am
It happened the first time I tried to use it. Then it was ok. Might be a Server initialization issue.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Andreas_Resch » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:20 pm

Andreas_Resch Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:20 pm
For me the "Upsampler" checkbox just has no effect at all. No matter if I check or uncheck it. The only thig that triggers the upsampling is changing the dropdown box.
Andreas_Resch

Postby DrawFun » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:44 am

DrawFun Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:44 am
First of all, it seems to kick in even when the parent checkbox is unchecked

The "Upsampler" checkbox should be renamed to "Enable AI Upsampling", for indicating whether to use AI to upsample the frame when this toggle is on. Otherwise the render engine just trivially scales up the frame.
Also, it should be not be put in the header. We will put it inside the panel, just as the Standalone does.

And then it shears the scene sideways

We didn't reproduce such cases here. Can you please share a sample scene if possible? Thanks!
DrawFun
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Andreas_Resch » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:35 am

Andreas_Resch Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:35 am
So the Upsamler checkbox additionally enables AI and has nothing to do with enabling general upsampling. If so, than this should definitely be changed. Like now it's very misleading, especially with the "Denoiser" checkbox right above it working as suggested.

Maybe the checkbox could stay and generally enable/disable upsampling (like the Denoiser checkbox above). And then an additional checkbox could be added INSIDE the subsection labeled "Use AI upsampling" for the originally intended reason. Overall the Octane side panel needs some reworks. There have been several confusions/suggestions in the past. Time to address them.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the shear issue any more. If it should return, I will try to pinpoint it and report.
Andreas_Resch

Return to Bug Reports