Imager/post UI/UX issues

Forums: Imager/post UI/UX issues
Sub forum for bug reports
Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

Re: Imager/post UI/UX issues

Postby DrawFun » Mon May 20, 2024 7:02 am

DrawFun Mon May 20, 2024 7:02 am
I use same camera imager settings when working in 3d preview window and for final render. I don't see a point to have different settings when working on a scene.
Having a camera imager switch for an active camera in 3d preview window might be confusing. This gives two ways to enable or disable imager in camera object. Let's try make the workflow simpler as you noticed earlier.
Take a look how it is done in C4D with Octane plugin or Redshift. There is a global camera imager settings for all cameras or an override in active Camera object. It can't be any simpler.

We've added an option in the preferences for you to change the style of imager/postprocess panels(need to reboot blender to take effect). The "Global" style is like what you describe above.
For the multiple imagers/postprocesses, they are still supported for backward compatibility.

Cheers,
DrawFun
Attachments
global_imager.png
DrawFun
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Andreas_Resch » Mon May 20, 2024 8:24 am

Andreas_Resch Mon May 20, 2024 8:24 am
Which version? And what does the non-Global version do now? The "Global" version isn't very desirable and only of value for very basic workflows. For people working with production OCIO configs, this isn't an option. Nobody wants to work in a log color space while editing scenes.
Andreas_Resch

Postby DrawFun » Tue May 21, 2024 7:47 am

DrawFun Tue May 21, 2024 7:47 am
You can find it in the latest 28.x and 29.x versions.
The Global version is designed for users who want to use a single imager/post-process for all cases(like C4D). But it's not enabled by default for backward compatibility.
The default style is "Multiple" imagers/postprocesses - providing exactly the same workflow OctaneBlender has for years. So if you want to have different color space or denoiser configurations for preview and final render. You don't have to do anything.

Cheers,
DrawFun
DrawFun
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby J.C » Tue May 21, 2024 8:35 am

J.C Tue May 21, 2024 8:35 am
DrawFun wrote:
I use same camera imager settings when working in 3d preview window and for final render. I don't see a point to have different settings when working on a scene.
Having a camera imager switch for an active camera in 3d preview window might be confusing. This gives two ways to enable or disable imager in camera object. Let's try make the workflow simpler as you noticed earlier.
Take a look how it is done in C4D with Octane plugin or Redshift. There is a global camera imager settings for all cameras or an override in active Camera object. It can't be any simpler.

We've added an option in the preferences for you to change the style of imager/postprocess panels(need to reboot blender to take effect). The "Global" style is like what you describe above.
For the multiple imagers/postprocesses, they are still supported for backward compatibility.

Cheers,
DrawFun

Hi DrawFun, I know this option, but it is not how it should work. Multiplication of options makes users confused. Please simplify this. You should not restart Blender to switch to global. Please open Cinema 4d and see how it works there.

There should be a global camera imager settings for all cameras and an override in active Camera object. Please don't over complicate this.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Andreas_Resch » Tue May 21, 2024 9:01 am

Andreas_Resch Tue May 21, 2024 9:01 am
The fact there there are so many iterations of possiblities shows, that this system is too convoluted and needs proper untangling. Usually this is done via a proper flow chart. As it's now, is not very streamlined and understandable.

I also am skeptic about the fact there's an "no imager" option. Maybe you can explain what "no imager" entails. Something has to be set by default, even in a "no imager" scenario.

Going forward, it would make sense to create that flow chart and furthermore put the results into UI options. The solution is up there in the previous posts. Maybe not completely untangled yet, but it's scattered there.
Andreas_Resch

Previous

Return to Bug Reports