LOCAL DB: Global/linked/Referenced LocalDB Materials

Forums: LOCAL DB: Global/linked/Referenced LocalDB Materials
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: JimStar

LOCAL DB: Global/linked/Referenced LocalDB Materials

Postby itsallgoode9 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:51 am

itsallgoode9 Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:51 am
It would be extremely useful to have the option to make a LocalDB material linked or global, so that, upon loading a scene, whatever is the latest of a "linked" LocalDB material would be loaded into that scene--no need to reimport and reconnect an updated material

A real world example I'm dealing with right now is a project with 18 different plastic shampoo bottles, being used through 40+ different render scenes. Every bottle uses a layered material comprised of two materials:

1.) soft touch plastic material for the bottle itself (1 of 4 different colors)
2.) screen printed label material (unique material for each bottle).

Whenever the client request color or surface finish tweaks (usually quite minor adjustments) to the soft touch plastic material, I have to manually re import and reconnect the updated material to 40+ scenes. This is extremely time consuming and extremely error prone.

As with a textures (say a normal map that is shared across many scenes), making an adjustment to that normal map is automatically reflected in every scene when it is opened. Would there be a way to have an option to make LocalDB materials behave in the same manner? Obviously you wouldn't want this functionality by default but it would definitely be a useful option to have.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to User Requests