UV SETS: Incorrect UV sets

Forums: UV SETS: Incorrect UV sets
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: JimStar

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

UV SETS: Incorrect UV sets

Postby itsallgoode9 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:07 am

itsallgoode9 Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:07 am
On an object with multiple UV sets, the set to which a texture is projected to is affected depending on which UV set is selected in the "UV Sets" drop down menu of the UV window.

Observed Behavior: A bottle has two UV sets. Depending on which UV set I have showing in the UV editor window, affects which texture is assigned to which UV set.

Expected Behavior: UV Set assignment should only be dictated by the UV Projection node of a texture, and should not be affected by which UV set is currently selected in the UV Editor Window.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: UV SETS: Incorrect UV sets

Postby JimStar » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:36 am

JimStar Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:36 am
I'm not sure if I understood correctly what exactly is the issue...
Are you using two/three different textures at the same time each for different UV-set of the same mesh? Please attach some example scene so that I could see what exactly is your problem...
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:33 am

itsallgoode9 Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:33 am
sure. what's the best way to do package a scene from maya so it has textures etc intact?

In the meantime, here's a screenshot of what's happening:
I have a mix material which consists of the screenprinted label and also a blank substrate. Textures in the label are assigned to UV Channel 1. Textures in the substrate are assigned to UV channel 2.

You can see that by changing which UV set is active in the UV Editor, it's dictating which UV channel textures are assigned to, overriding the Octane "UV Project" node.

Shouldn't changing UV sets in the UV editor have no affect on the render? Changing that should only visibly changewhich UV's are currently shown in the editor and not actually reassign UV's?
Attachments
UV Set.jpg
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby JimStar » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:16 am

JimStar Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:16 am
If all your textures/references are inside the workspace - just make an archive of the whole workspace. But I think I already understand what you mean...

This happens because both Maya itself and Octane have their own means to control the current UV-set (where Maya can just have one current UV-set for the whole mesh, and Octane can be more flexible). So if you are trying to use both of them interchangeably - you can see them clash.
I've implemented the functionality of being able to use them both in Maya - so you can use the native Maya's approach in the simple cases where all the textures used by the same mesh use the same UV-set. In this case you can just always leave the default "1" value for "UV set" attribute in the related UV-projection nodes, and just be switching the current UV-set by standard Maya means, without even touching the Octane's UV-projection nodes... What happens in this case under the hood - the UV-sets of the mesh are getting rearranged during the translation, making the Maya's "current" UV-set to always be the first set (thus it will automatically be recognized by Octane, 'cause the projection nodes in such cases all have the "1" as the UV-set). But if some of your projection nodes have e.g. UV-set "2" in them - they will start seeing a different UV-set of the mesh as soon as the UV-sets sequence of the mesh gets rearranged due to change of Maya's native "current UV-set of the mesh".
So in more complex cases like this, you can't use Maya's simpler "one current UV-set for the mesh" approach. In such cases you need to always have Maya's "current UV-set for the mesh" set to the very first UV-set (to eliminate re-arranging), and never change it. In this case you need to be changing the UV-sets in Octane's UV-projection nodes to achieve the desired render result...
JimStar
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby itsallgoode9 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:28 am

itsallgoode9 Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:28 am
that makes sense, I think :lol:

Is there any way to make a checkbox override to force octane's UVset assignments to take priority? In practice, all that switching the current UV, via the UV editor should do, is change which UV's you are looking at and have zero affect on switching UVset assignments.

Imagine setting up 20 renders to batch overnight and they all have to be trashed because you didn't double check that the correct UV set in the UV editor was selected--something that shouldn't, traditionally, have to be considered. I've already lost a few couple hour renders, accidentally, because of that.

Sorry, I'm really putting the plugin's lesser used features to the test on the project i'm currently on :?
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports