OctaneRender® for Maya® 3.03.1 - 8.0 Win [ALPHA]

Forums: OctaneRender® for Maya® 3.03.1 - 8.0 Win [ALPHA]
Sub forum for non-production plugin releases

Re: OctaneRender® for Maya® 3.02 - 8.0 Win [ALPHA]

Postby gah5118 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:17 am

gah5118 Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:17 am
A feature I'd like to see other than a quick startup for scene setup, a feature that c4d has; the ability to click a button and the render view updates automatically without having to set each object to movable.

also, if somehow we could access octane features via the attribute spreadsheet... this could be helpful.

As I am typing this, I am waiting for the liveDB to update.... so far it's been around 3 minutes. connection is 100+mbs

.... update.... after waiting for the db, there is no localDB... which is all I actually needed.

Just found the ? button on the octane shelf.... I am excited to see direct access to the stand alone interface, however, when adding just 2-3 objects then opening the interface, the graph is loaded with a ton of nodes right off the bat. nearly impossible to navigate.... I found this to be the case when exporting a scene with the old plugin also.

It would be great if maya groups would somehow be recognized as grouped objects in octane much like an obj. this would clean things up a bit.

I notice also, when this window is opened, maya is pretty much locked. Any way to make the two able to interact? See material updates in the render view?

____another update-------

Doing some experimenting, when applying a material in the standalone window, then leaving it, it updates the render view. However, when refreshing, all of those nodes are disconnected. Reopen the standalone debugger and the nodes are there, just disconnected.

---Another observation

Every time the ipr is refreshed and checking the debugger, it's creating new instances of the geometry. refresh 3 times, and thats 3 more. Wonder if this could effect file size, performance, or anything else.. At the very least, it's a mess.
ngwindow.jpg
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby michaelkdaw » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:07 am

michaelkdaw Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:07 am
If I open IPR or the regular render window, Maya crashes. This is after I switch to Octane Render in the render settings dialog.
michaelkdaw
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ivankio » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:06 pm

ivankio Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:06 pm
Made a working UI that feels more easily manageable to me. I would appreciate some input and ideas. As the Octane plugin itself, it is of course a WIP.
(Cope with my stuttering english because I believe it feels useful in a real workflow)

Having Octane as nodes is very flexible and Kai is doing a great and clever job. Without it, we would be hostages to a black box.

Having that said, I do miss some agility that I'm sure will come in time. Yet I've put together an UI that I can easily understand, reconfigure and rewire losing very little to node management functionality as far as "render settings" go (materials are a different story). This feels more usable on the long run to me. Please share your thoughts, if it makes some sense or if it is even more confusing to configure than node spaghetti.

Octane Maya Plugin Janitor.rar
(32.83 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

Put the icons on the proper folder - something like:
C:\Users\User\Documents\maya\2016\prefs\icons

The script, drag it and drop it to a shelf as a python script.

----------------------------------
Warnings:

Janitor
- the Janitor doesn't actively monitor the scene (I didn't want to add a variable to the base plugin). If you delete a node, to refresh the UI just (1) toggle a filter (those icons), (2) select something in the lists, or (3) click the shelf button again.
- "Settings templates" are just a bunch of random quick settings, nothing really universally useful.
- "Cameras from maya" always produces ThinLensCameras.
- doesn't 100% guarantee safe functionality. if your non-default render target has missing important connections, it'll probably fail.
- no attribute spread sheet button ;)
- I haven't tested with many scenes or methods (volumes, batch rendering, lights, materials, instances, scenes from 2.0...). Chances are some aren't even supported yet.

Octane plugin:
- creating new scenes or deleting the one working render target will make Octane to stop working (it seems it will only work on the first scene you load Octane on a session)
- It seems only one render target is sent to IPR, no point in creating additional ones currently. No way to tell which one to use.
- many nodes are not yet very controllable, like Environments (daylight and texture).
- failed renderings often means you'll need to restart Maya
Last edited by ivankio on Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTX 1080 8gb, GTX 970 4gb, I5 4590, Z97-E, 32gb RAM, Win 10 64bits, Octane for Maya
ivankio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kommando_2k » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:10 pm

kommando_2k Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:10 pm
ivankio, that's very useful :D , save me headache setting up the godammit prep render setting in node editor, fricken german engineering.

good job!
kommando_2k
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ivankio » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:54 pm

ivankio Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:54 pm
Cheers! I'm glad I'm not the only one around anxious for plug and play. We'll get there. Not today, not tomorrow, but soon™.
I'll wait further developments from Kai. He hasn't commented much outside the node editor but Calus already pointed that Maya 2016.5 itself has great improvements on render management. I'm holding the update to avoid breaking my other work, but it seems I'm already late on some concepts.
GTX 1080 8gb, GTX 970 4gb, I5 4590, Z97-E, 32gb RAM, Win 10 64bits, Octane for Maya
ivankio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gah5118 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 am

gah5118 Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:39 am
awesome work ivankio! This will tide us over while the "bones" of the plugin are being developed. After that, I can't wait to see how everything gets wrapped up.
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:07 am

calus Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:07 am
Haha Ivankio, I didn't have time yet to seriously test the alpha 8, and you already did an amazing job with this tool :D.

The Janitor tool deserves its own topic !
this is now the necessary companion for the new Maya plugin.

some feedback:
- The cameraTransformConverter node should use the worldMatrix[0] from the camera shape as input, instead of the transform matrix, this works better if the camera is parented for example.
- For the future maybe you could use the Maya builtin node PRESET system to read and write template.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:38 am

Jolbertoquini Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:38 am
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question your alphas the shaders have all option do you have this errors???

Also thanks Ivan really cool stuff.

my concern is how I do with older scenes we have a huge pipeline with a lot Artist and a lot project lookdev files if I can use render scenes and older files this will be a big trouble I may need to contact personally Otoy about that. I guess is a alpha so please Kai could you tell me if is just at alpha but for the next version should work?

very best,
JO

Jolbertoquini wrote:It's working but a lot options doesn't environment texture map? any texture on NG nodes doesn't work I tried different formats with File node and old nodes...
And shaders option aswell (IOR and etc is not there ) texture they doesn't exist anymore.
here full list error:
select -r octaneGlossyMaterial2 ;
// ****************************** RENDER ARGUMENTS ***********************
// CommandRender::doIt: argument: -gpc octaneGlossyMaterial2.Diffuse
// CommandRender::doIt: argument: -gpc octaneGlossyMaterial2.Specular
// CommandRender::doIt: argument: -gpc octaneGlossyMaterial2.Roughness
// CommandRender::doIt: argument: -gpc octaneGlossyMaterial2.FilmWidth
// Error: Oct_AE_addDefaultControl( "octaneGlossyMaterial2.ValFloat", "octaneGlossyMaterial2.FilmIndex" ); //
// Error: Line 1.95: Wrong number of arguments on call to Oct_AE_addDefaultControl. //
// Error: Oct_AE_addDefaultControl( "octaneGlossyMaterial2.ValFloat", "octaneGlossyMaterial2.Index" ); //
// Error: Line 1.91: Wrong number of arguments on call to Oct_AE_addDefaultControl. //
// CommandRender::doIt: argument: -gpc octaneGlossyMaterial2.Bump
// CommandRender::doIt: argument: -gpc octaneGlossyMaterial2.Opacity
// Error: Oct_AE_addDefaultControl( "octaneGlossyMaterial2.ValBool", "octaneGlossyMaterial2.Smooth" ); //
// Error: Line 1.91: Wrong number of arguments on call to Oct_AE_addDefaultControl. //
// Error: Oct_AE_addDefaultControl( "octaneGlossyMaterial2.ValFloat", "octaneGlossyMaterial2.EdgesRound" ); //
// Error: Line 1.96: Wrong number of arguments on call to Oct_AE_addDefaultControl. //
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:07 am

calus Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:07 am
Jolbertoquini wrote:my concern is how I do with older scenes we have a huge pipeline with a lot Artist and a lot project lookdev files if I can use render scenes and older files this will be a big trouble I may need to contact personally Otoy about that. I guess is a alpha so please Kai could you tell me if is just at alpha but for the next version should work?

Hi Jo,

you shouldn't use this release for production :shock:
or use it at your own risks ;) .

This is only a PREVIEW release to PLAY with some of the new nodes and volume.
Half of the new nodes are not implemented yet in Alpha 8,
materials, textures nodes and geometry type, still use the old V2 system but should use the new nodes approach in one of the next releases.
(I guess that's why we have some AE conflicts between old and new system)

I suppose Kai will take care of the conversion from old nodes to new ones with the PRODUCTION release.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ivankio » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:26 pm

ivankio Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:26 pm
Good point, @calus. The user should also be able to generate his own presets.
But builtin presets seems to save only values, not connected nodes. So a texture environment that would have a file input wouldnt be of much use. Or a daylight that takes a geo location node. I have to wait and see how they'll work.

Do you know how I could setup a safe script job to update the lists without introducing potential stability risk? To catch selection change seems too overwhelming and that it may even miss some deletion/creation of nodes, doesn't it? Also, the update seems harmless enough, but idk... isn't it expensive to use cmds.ls(exactType=...) on big scenes to do it often?
ivankio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Testing Releases (Non-Production)