Suggested Light UX additions.

Forums: Suggested Light UX additions.
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: juanjgon

Suggested Light UX additions.

Postby HandcraftedMedia » Mon May 29, 2023 2:01 pm

HandcraftedMedia Mon May 29, 2023 2:01 pm
To make this easier I recorded a quick video explaining my suggestion and how I implemented it: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yIecV9 ... share_link
Attached the HDA with suggested modifications.

1. Would love to have settings for the spotlight texture built into the octane light. It's not ideal to have to dive into the light and wire in the spotlight nodes yourself.
2. Often when working with textures in your lights (like a softbox or gradient texture) you still want to have a color to be overlaid on that (think color gel). All that's needed for that is to leave the color enabled and multiply it with the light texture.

I made a custom version of the octane light with these things built in, but it's not ideal since each new release you have to redo the process. I'll include the HDA here if you want to take a look at it and maybe integrate it into future releases.
Attachments
octane_light.zip
Modified Octane Light HDA
(21.13 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
HandcraftedMedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Suggested Light UX additions.

Postby toby_a » Mon May 29, 2023 9:21 pm

toby_a Mon May 29, 2023 9:21 pm
Thank you for taking the time to make this! I'll have to come back to it next week when I have a bit of time to ponder it (after the next release of the plugin).

Cheers,
Toby.
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby HandcraftedMedia » Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:28 pm

HandcraftedMedia Thu Jul 06, 2023 4:28 pm
Hey toby!
Just checking in if you had any more thoughts regarding this.
I think adding this into the UI would be a much needed user experience improvement for newcomers. Especially since the Octane functionality is working and there, but it's a PITA to setup every time you want to use a spotlight.
HandcraftedMedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby toby_a » Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:33 pm

toby_a Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:33 pm
Hey, sorry I didn't get back to you. Some higher priority stuff has come up so this will remain in the queue for a while longer. Rest assured that it is in our internal issue tracker and won't be forgotten
toby_a
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to User Requests