round edges question

Forums: round edges question
Sub forum for bug reports

Moderator: juanjgon

Forum rules
Before posting a bug report, please check the following:
1. That the issue has not already been disclosed
2. That the issue is specific to this plugin, and not Octane in general (Try reproducing it in Standalone)
Bugs related to the Octane Engine itself should be posted into the Standalone Support sub-forum.

All bug reports should include the information below, along with a detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce it.
A. Operating System, including version (i.e. Win 7, OSX 10.11.2, Ubuntu 14.04, etc.)
B. Graphics Card(s) model (i.e. GTX 580 - 3GB, TITAN, etc.)
C. RAM Capacity (i.e. 6 GB)
D. Nvidia driver version (i.e. 7.50, 7.5.22)
E. OctaneRender Standalone version, if installed (i.e. 2.24.2, 2.23, etc.)
F. OctaneRender plugin version (i.e. v2.25 - 2.21)
G. Host application version, including build number if available (i.e. 3ds Max 2016 Build 18.0)

round edges question

Postby WhyGee » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:34 am

WhyGee Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:34 am
Hi
I've noticed that when I have a shader with round edges > 0, even when the rop is set to update and material update is disabled there is a long preprocessing delay when jumping between frames with the IPR running or just batch rendering a sequence. The geo with the round edge shader has no animation update (no time dependency) but is quite dense, around 10 million polys. shouldn't the preproc occur only once? most of the render time is lost on preprocessing, the actual render itself is like 20% of the total frame time. Without the round edges the preproc is at least half of when it's on.

Any advice on how to speed this up? would using the standalone provide any advantage?

Thanks
Yaniv
WhyGee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: round edges question

Postby juanjgon » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:33 am

juanjgon Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:33 am
I wasn't aware off longer pre-processing times related to the round edges feature, but perhaps Octane needs to compute extra data to support it. If you want to send me the scene, I could test it here to see if something can be done to improve this issue.

Anyway, the pre-processing is done by the Octane core, and usually, there is nothing that can be improved from the plugin side, unless something wrong in the plugin is forcing a complete scene pre-processing. I could check using your scene.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby WhyGee » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:42 am

WhyGee Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:42 am
I think it's only noticeable on large scenes. Maybe something wrong with my scene so I'll check again.
I'll try to prepare a scene in the following days to send you.

Thanks!
WhyGee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby WhyGee » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:53 am

WhyGee Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:53 am
I've attached a test scene. Even without round edges it seems to be doing some long recalculating on static geometry which is not supposed to happen no?

without round edges:
I goto frame 1, fire up the IPR takes approx 15 seconds on my machine.
while IPR is running I jump to frame 100, preprocessing takes another 13 seconds to update.

with round edges:
frame 1, start IPR takes 38 seconds for preprocessing.
IPR open jumping to frame 100 takes another 33 seconds before updating.

any way to speed this up would be great. because in the original scene I'm also using the Cd -> UV workflow, instancing isn't an option.

Thanks!
Yaniv
Attachments
round_edges_scene_update1.rar
(16.74 MiB) Downloaded 213 times
WhyGee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:37 pm

juanjgon Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:37 pm
Hi,

I'm testing your scene here and you are right, with the round edges feature enabled the scene preprocessing time is at least twice longer. It is the preprocessing time in the Octane side, so I suppose that some extra computation is needed in this phase to render the round edges.

Anyway, the problem with the slow IPR update among the frames is that you probably have the IPR full update options enabled. The IPR window has four square switches (D, M, I and V) that are enabled by default. This means that the update of the objects Deformations, Materials, Instances or Volumes is enabled. If you disable these switches, the update time is almost instantaneous.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
Attachments
image-001357.jpg
image-001357.jpg (14.66 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby WhyGee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:16 pm

WhyGee Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:16 pm
I see, I thought it would detect none deforming geo and not update when not necessary. Is that not the case if there is atleast one other deforming object in the scene, the whole scene is updated?

Thanks
WhyGee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:10 pm

juanjgon Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:10 pm
Yes, currently if the update mesh deformations option is enabled, all the meshes are updated. Anyway, if any mesh changes its topology, the Octane scene must be preprocessed again.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby WhyGee » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:00 pm

WhyGee Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:00 pm
If possible it would be incredibly useful if there was an option on an object level to control whether to update or not.

Thanks!
Yaniv
WhyGee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Bug Reports