OctaneRender 2022.1 for Houdini beta build 2022.1.0.5 RC1

Forums: OctaneRender 2022.1 for Houdini beta build 2022.1.0.5 RC1
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: OctaneRender 2022.1 for Houdini beta build 2022.1.0.5 RC1

Postby juanjgon » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:42 am

juanjgon Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:42 am
ThomasHelzle wrote:Question: What does the IPR do when it shows "Converting gdp" in the commandline of Houdini?
I get constant crashes in a scene all of a sudden and don't know what this means so can't debug it...
The IPR itself shows that it's loading a temp packaged GEO object at that moment - is it possible that such a temp geo is getting corrupted? I couldn't find the file or folder on my harddrives.

I also sometimes got a hard crash when changing the diameter of a torus light while using the (old) IPR.

Thanks for the updates, other than the above crashes I get really good results here from the RC1.

Windows 10, 1 RTX 2080 TI, Driver version 526.98, Houdini 19.5.435

Cheers,

Tom

Can you please share an example scene with this problem to take a look at it here?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:48 am

juanjgon Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:48 am
snakeboxmedia wrote:pretty silly Otoy makes a lot of noise as always with their fancy promises and releases! ITs OUT!!

then you realize that half the DCCs don't have a plugin, and the beta plugins partially break becuase of license model changes and so on.

Sorry guys, but this is how it works. The core team releases new Standalone and SDK versions once they are ready and they have passed all the QA and testing processes. At this point, it is available for the users as the Standalone product and for the DCCs plugin developers as the SDK that we need to compile the plugins. As you can understand, we need at least a few days to implement all the changes available in the new SDK and release the updated plugins. The alternative is to let all the users, including the Standalone users, wait until all the plugins are ready, something that IMHO makes no sense.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby BK » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:02 pm

BK Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:02 pm
snakeboxmedia wrote:pretty silly Otoy makes a lot of noise as always with their fancy promises and releases! ITs OUT!!

then you realize that half the DCCs don't have a plugin, and the beta plugins partially break becuase of license model changes and so on.

it's like they just can't help themselves when it comes to making things as confusing as possible.
Why is the octane for houdini still 2 plugins?! combine them and get the solaris side up and running... it's so crazy how disjointed an experience all this is on the user end.

Hi Snakeboxmedia,

Regarding your second question, OctaneHydra Solaris side is a totally different plugin that will be supporting more Hydra host applications over time!
The Solaris plugin has to be a separate due to the technical requirements of Hydra (it's a totally different SDK).
We include/combine our main Houdini plugin in the Solaris releases.

Note: Just to be clear again, here is how our development to release pipeline->> OctaneRender Standalone>>OctaneRender for Houdini or other plugins>>OctaneHydra Solaris plugin.

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby galleon27 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:28 am

galleon27 Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:28 am
BK wrote:

it's like they just can't help themselves when it comes to making things as confusing as possible.
Why is the octane for houdini still 2 plugins?! combine them and get the solaris side up and running... it's so crazy how disjointed an experience all this is on the user end.

Hi Snakeboxmedia,

Regarding your second question, OctaneHydra Solaris side is a totally different plugin that will be supporting more Hydra host applications over time!
The Solaris plugin has to be a separate due to the technical requirements of Hydra (it's a totally different SDK).

Note: Just to be clear again, here is how our development to release pipeline->> OctaneRender Standalone>>OctaneRender for Houdini or other plugins>>OctaneHydra Solaris plugin.

cheers

Why are you merging them? All i see are potential issues. For example: Main plugin releases (ver. 2022.1.0.0), two days later you release Solaris and the main plugin merged. After that we find some bug in the main plugin that needs a quick fix so Juanjo releases a new version of the main plugin (ver. 2022.1.0.1). Now when you go to download Solaris, you are left with Solaris and an outdated main plugin. Someone will just download Solaris thinking that that is the latest version of the main plugin when in fact it is not in this case.
Maybe its better to keep them separate but what do i know. Maybe i'm missing something.
Win 10 64bit // GTX 4090 + GTX 3090 // 5900x // 64GB // SideFX Houdini // C4D
galleon27
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BK » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:53 am

BK Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:53 am
galleon27 wrote:
BK wrote:

Hi Snakeboxmedia,

cheers

Why are you merging them? All i see are potential issues. For example: Main plugin releases (ver. 2022.1.0.0), two days later you release Solaris and the main plugin merged. After that we find some bug in the main plugin that needs a quick fix so Juanjo releases a new version of the main plugin (ver. 2022.1.0.1). Now when you go to download Solaris, you are left with Solaris and an outdated main plugin. Someone will just download Solaris thinking that that is the latest version of the main plugin when in fact it is not in this case.
Maybe its better to keep them separate but what do i know. Maybe i'm missing something.

Hi galleon27,

We are merging because Houdini has LOP to SOP and SOP to LOP assets interoperability.
Totally understand your concerns.
We could do a quick build for Octane HydraSolaris plugin as soon as our main plugin is released.

cheers
Kind Regards

bk3d
BK
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby galleon27 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:33 am

galleon27 Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:33 am
BK wrote:
Hi galleon27,

We are merging because Houdini has LOP to SOP and SOP to LOP assets interoperability.
We could do a quick build for Octane HydraSolaris plugin as soon as our main plugin is released.

cheers

Havent tested this so ill just ask. Say i download Solaris first and then for some reason i decide to download the main plugin and merge it with Solaris. Would that break the plugin or would it work?
Win 10 64bit // GTX 4090 + GTX 3090 // 5900x // 64GB // SideFX Houdini // C4D
galleon27
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:00 am

juanjgon Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:00 am
galleon27 wrote:
BK wrote:
Hi galleon27,

cheers

Havent tested this so ill just ask. Say i download Solaris first and then for some reason i decide to download the main plugin and merge it with Solaris. Would that break the plugin or would it work?

If both plugins are for the same Houdini version and are using the same Octane core, usually you can merge them yourself.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby davidyannick_1 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:51 pm

davidyannick_1 Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:51 pm
Cool but when can we expect a release for the current version ?
Thanks
davidyannick_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:35 pm

juanjgon Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:35 pm
davidyannick_1 wrote:Cool but when can we expect a release for the current version ?
Thanks

When it is ready, later this week.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby davidyannick_1 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:53 pm

davidyannick_1 Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:53 pm
juanjgon wrote:
davidyannick_1 wrote:Cool but when can we expect a release for the current version ?
Thanks

When it is ready, later this week.

-Juanjo

ok thanks and sorry for asking
davidyannick_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Releases