Forums: OctaneRender 2024.1 Alpha 4 for Houdini production
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: OctaneRender 2024.1 Alpha 4 for Houdini production

Postby ricky_otoy » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:54 am

ricky_otoy Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:54 am
Aszyk wrote:
ricky_otoy wrote:
Aszyk wrote:I'm getting this Console Error appear when I plugin a Vertex Displacement or Displacement node into the displacement channel in a Standard Material.
It doesn't appear to affect the displacement node as I can see it displacing when I change the height value.

(1055)
*** OCTANE API ERROR: Tried to access null node pin
*** OCTANE API ERROR: Can't read float from static pin 'unknown' (P_UNKNOWN, type PT_UNKNOWN) of node '' (NT_UNKNOWN, 00007FFDC2C37D70)

Have to say I'm impressed with the speed at which the displacement works tho!

Hi Aszyk, I had a look now and tried procedural with bake node as well as the image nodes - both Vector Displacement and Displacement seems to work.

Can you please send me the scene you are getting the error with (or simplified), and also which OS and build you are using. Thanks! :)

Hey Ricky, here's a stripped down version of the file with just a cube and a procedural texture and I still get the error.

Disp Error

I'm on windows 11 Pro - 10.0.22631 Build 22631 and Houdini 20.0.653

Hi, sorry for the delay - I am still investigating the issue, but if you delete the current standard surface material itself and then add another one it works ok.
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby andrewprousalis » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:32 pm

andrewprousalis Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:32 pm
Sorry if this has been covered already, but is this considered a stable production release? I'm confused by having alpha and production in the same title!
andrewprousalis
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ricky_otoy » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:21 am

ricky_otoy Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:21 am
andrewprousalis wrote:Sorry if this has been covered already, but is this considered a stable production release? I'm confused by having alpha and production in the same title!

No Alpha is still an Alpha, but the title could be seen as for Houdini Production builds (not Houdini Daily)
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby lavrenovlad » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 pm

lavrenovlad Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:44 pm
Alright, I don't know what is wrong with these 2024 builds. Tried to troubleshoot why on main machine Octane with AI denoiser crashes all the time, second machine that I have has 3090ti and it doesn't seem to crash.
I tried to generate these logs for you to look at, generally wanted to have octane crashing in the middle of rendering, but these two times it crashed when I tried to stop IPR rendering or reload it. Houdini just closes instantly.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/1wx4unkq ... z8b5&dl=0|

Let me know if you have any ideas what it might be.

Also just a note, I use denoisers with "Denoise on Completion" off. So it denoises on the fly.
lavrenovlad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ricky_otoy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:06 am

ricky_otoy Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:06 am
lavrenovlad wrote:Alright, I don't know what is wrong with these 2024 builds. Tried to troubleshoot why on main machine Octane with AI denoiser crashes all the time, second machine that I have has 3090ti and it doesn't seem to crash.
I tried to generate these logs for you to look at, generally wanted to have octane crashing in the middle of rendering, but these two times it crashed when I tried to stop IPR rendering or reload it. Houdini just closes instantly.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/1wx4unkq ... z8b5&dl=0|

Let me know if you have any ideas what it might be.

Also just a note, I use denoisers with "Denoise on Completion" off. So it denoises on the fly.

Hi lavrenovlad, thank you for logs. We will try see if we can track anything down from them.
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ricky_otoy » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:51 am

ricky_otoy Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:51 am
Can you also compare your 2 machines, the settings you had and if they were the same.

settings.jpg
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby lavrenovlad » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:23 pm

lavrenovlad Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:23 pm
ricky_otoy wrote:Can you also compare your 2 machines, the settings you had and if they were the same.

settings.jpg

Everything is usually on default there except for "Priority Level", I always set it to "High" because I don't like when only 80% of the GPU is used by Octane. 1000% t's not overheating issue lol, Octane is pretty stable with the denoisers off, Intel denoiser is more stable btw if I compare them atm.

AND DON'T FORGET THAT I TURN OFF "DENOISE ON COMPLETION" OPTION FOR THE DENOISERS TOO. They are a little more stable with that option on btw. But they are still unstable compared to 2023 which works great.
lavrenovlad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ricky_otoy » Wed May 01, 2024 8:13 am

ricky_otoy Wed May 01, 2024 8:13 am
lavrenovlad wrote:
ricky_otoy wrote:Can you also compare your 2 machines, the settings you had and if they were the same.

The attachment settings.jpg is no longer available

Everything is usually on default there except for "Priority Level", I always set it to "High" because I don't like when only 80% of the GPU is used by Octane. 1000% t's not overheating issue lol, Octane is pretty stable with the denoisers off, Intel denoiser is more stable btw if I compare them atm.

AND DON'T FORGET THAT I TURN OFF "DENOISE ON COMPLETION" OPTION FOR THE DENOISERS TOO. They are a little more stable with that option on btw. But they are still unstable compared to 2023 which works great.

Could you try see if you can get us the following info?

When you get a crash have a look at
Code: Select all
C:/Users/<user.name>/AppData/Local/Temp/houdini_temp/

Houdini_Crash_Logs.jpg

Also could you look at your Windows Event log and find the corresponding Application error, like the following:
Event Viewer.jpg
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby lavrenovlad » Wed May 01, 2024 1:09 pm

lavrenovlad Wed May 01, 2024 1:09 pm
Alright, will do!
lavrenovlad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby lavrenovlad » Wed May 01, 2024 6:29 pm

lavrenovlad Wed May 01, 2024 6:29 pm
Also there is one more bug that I noticed, not sure if this happens with unlocked RT nodes or something, or because the RT is from a previous version.
Basically when I launch IPR the image is very bright, then I restart the IPR and it goes back to normal exposure. It's another annoying bug like "not enough memory.." when I start IPR for the first time from the ROPs list and not just by clicking the "play" icon.
lavrenovlad
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Releases