What is the instancing workflow?

Forums: What is the instancing workflow?
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

What is the instancing workflow?

Postby AlexeyAdamitsky » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:03 pm

AlexeyAdamitsky Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:03 pm
I'm working on a scene with heavy geometry and I need to instance a piece of said geometry many times. I don't understand the general Octane workflow regarding this. I think Octane is just duplicating geo even if it's packed and instanced. How do I tell Octane to recognize this or is there a workflow for this? The official documentation is not very helpful.

So far using the standard Houdini workflow with packed and instanced geometry makes the DCC hand when Octane is launched. Any help is appreciated.
AlexeyAdamitsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: What is the instancing workflow?

Postby ricky_otoy » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:19 pm

ricky_otoy Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:19 pm
Hi Alexey, you need to turn on Packed Geo Instancing on the object Octane properties, but also you would have to have the geo packed and instanced in the SOP level. (For example, enable "Pack and Instance" on the copy to points node)
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby AlexeyAdamitsky » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:18 am

AlexeyAdamitsky Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:18 am
Thank you Ricky. I think this is working well. I tried two other workflows based on Houdini Instances but they produced certain limitations and bugs. I think the one you suggested is the most stable and reliable method so far.

Can you please explain a bit more on the Custom Attributes usage when Paged Geo enabled in the Octane Object Properties? How do you use it in general?
AlexeyAdamitsky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ricky_otoy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:17 am

ricky_otoy Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:17 am
AlexeyAdamitsky wrote:Thank you Ricky. I think this is working well. I tried two other workflows based on Houdini Instances but they produced certain limitations and bugs. I think the one you suggested is the most stable and reliable method so far.

Can you please explain a bit more on the Custom Attributes usage when Paged Geo enabled in the Octane Object Properties? How do you use it in general?

Certainly! :) The following example will take the Cd and P position attribute to drive color and then another noise for a mask which will be used just for transparency.

1) Create your SOP network and add the required Attributes you want to use in your material, ensure it is packed and instanced.
2) Create your material and add some 'Texture Instance Color' nodes that will be used to assign the attributes to. (Note you do not need to select a file or anything, at this point it is merely a "bridge" for the data)
3) Enable "Packed Geo Instancing" on the Object's Octane Properties and Assign your Custom Attributes to the appropriate "Texture Instance Color" Nodes. (It helps to name your "Texture Instance Color" nodes)

Example:

SOP
Pack_Instance.jpg

Setup Material (Add 'Texture Instance Color' Nodes)
Material_TextureInstanceColor.jpg

Assign Attributes
Assign_Custom_Attributes.jpg

Output
Cubes_Animatedjpg.jpg

Hope the brief overview helps!
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Houdini