Instancefile issue

Forums: Instancefile issue
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Instancefile issue

Postby waltmannz » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:57 pm

waltmannz Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:57 pm
Hello,

I'm running into issues using 'instacefile' to reference cached bgeo.sc files where I'm trying to instance a different frame of animation per point (achieving this by changing the path to the cached files per point).

I'm getting this issue when the IPR starts to render:

"The instance node "setup" is referencing a not available object "/obj/OCTANE_TEMP_INSTANCEFILE_GEO/....{path to bgeo.sc}"

The strange thing is that if I close this error message the render seems to work as expected, however this message pops up every frame meaning I can't really render the scene.

Related thread, but can't seem to find the answer. Any help is appreciated. I've sent the project file to support team, but there's some paths that need updating for it to work I expect.
Attachments
image (28).png
Error message
waltmannz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Instancefile issue

Postby ricky_otoy » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:16 am

ricky_otoy Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:16 am
Hi waltmannz,

We are currently looking into it - thanks for reporting. I will get back to you on it as soon as I have info to share.
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby ricky_otoy » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:35 pm

ricky_otoy Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:35 pm
Ok so unfortunately it seems to have something to do with the instance motion blur as far as I know.
For now, if you disable "Enable Instance MB" (under ROPS / MotionBlur), you won't get the error.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, it is currently being looked into - Thanks again for reporting this.
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby waltmannz » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:18 pm

waltmannz Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:18 pm
Thanks for looking into this! Really appreciate the speedy response. Let me know if you manage to fix this eventually as motion blur would be great to get on offset animated instances.

Is there an alternative method you're aware of for offsetting animation on instances?
waltmannz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby waltmannz » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:21 pm

waltmannz Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:21 pm
Also just to check my understanding, but with instancing there's currently no way to access attributes on instance other than per point Cd and alpha through the "rgb4k_map.ppm" method? E.g. I can't use the curveu attribute of my source geo in shading all of the insances?
waltmannz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ricky_otoy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:49 am

ricky_otoy Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:49 am
waltmannz wrote:Also just to check my understanding, but with instancing there's currently no way to access attributes on instance other than per point Cd and alpha through the "rgb4k_map.ppm" method? E.g. I can't use the curveu attribute of my source geo in shading all of the insances?

Currently pack and instance can only use the ppm map method, there is no way to get additional attributes for masking right now - but we are looking into it at the moment.

I am not too sure what you mean about offsetting animation on instances, aren't you able to use the timing tools in Houdini?
ricky_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Houdini