Front Projection Mapping

Forums: Front Projection Mapping
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Front Projection Mapping

Postby rustyippolito » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:16 am

rustyippolito Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:16 am
Hey Juanjo- Is there a way to front projection map from the camera onto geometry UVs without baking out a UV texture image? Trying to project plate images back onto a load of different fractured objects and it would be so many less steps if we could do it all in the shaders...
rustyippolito
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Front Projection Mapping

Postby juanjgon » Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:00 am

juanjgon Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:00 am
I think the best workflow for camera projection mapping is using an osl camera shader. There are several topics about it, like this one:
viewtopic.php?f=101&t=62008

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Front Projection Mapping

Postby rustyippolito » Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:58 pm

rustyippolito Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:58 pm
Thanks for the tip Juanjo. I had utilized this OSL method and it does work (thanks vlucendo!), but it does not stick to the UVs so as soon as the geometry moves (or in my case shatters into RBD sim) the textures all stay projected from the same point and do not move with the geometry points. I know that the one solution is to bake out an image for each object, but I am not sure how to set up a surface baking camera in Houdini/Octane... I was hoping there might be a more elegant solution than baking out a diffuse map for all of the different objects (there are quite a few). Trying to figure out if there is a way to have one shader for all the objects that will project the plate from camera and remain stuck to the objects' UVs as they break apart.
rustyippolito
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini