Ocean Tools workflow with Octane

Forums: Ocean Tools workflow with Octane
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Ocean Tools workflow with Octane

Postby rustyippolito » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:18 am

rustyippolito Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:18 am
Does anyone out there have any idea where I could find a course/tutorial on setting up Flat tank sims with ocean spectrum and blending into a larger ocean plane, but focusing on how to render it all out in Octane? We are having some issues trying to get it all setup...
rustyippolito
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Ocean Tools workflow with Octane

Postby fantome » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:34 pm

fantome Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:34 pm
octane specific no. but rebelway flip series by igor zanic cover the methods. this one is also nice with good info at the end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi0WIWHLBqY

- you have your flat ocean spectrum, you bake your vector displacement map from the houdini ocean evaluate node
- you create your FLIP and you use the boundary layer option of the FLIP solver to get a flat square area at the border of your flip
- you post process your FLIP to get a perfectly flat mesh at the boundary, you create a mask between FLIP area and flat area using fluid masking tool
- then you can either apply directly your ocean displacement on the flat grid and on the FLIP sims using the mask you created to not displace FLIP area
- or you can render 3 pass and blend them in comp , the Flat ocean pass / the FLIP ocean / the mask

but honestly octane would be the last engine i would like to use if i have to do heavy ocean work. i think i'll go with either arnold or mantra / karma.
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini