Points rendering question

Forums: Points rendering question
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Points rendering question

Postby thanulee » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:37 pm

thanulee Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:37 pm
Hi,

When I have a particle simulation and I want replace on render time with a custom object, how is that done in H?
In c4d i use octane tag and throw whatever objects i want in there.

Thanks!
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Points rendering question

Postby mirocreative » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:50 pm

mirocreative Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:50 pm
There's a shelf tool available for basic instancing on particles, Particles tab --> Instance Geometry on Particles.

Worth a try.
mirocreative
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thanulee » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:29 pm

thanulee Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:29 pm
I wanna know what is the way houdini handles this situation in the most efficient way. Otherwise I can simply copy to points i guess. So is there an octane object tag?
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:41 pm

juanjgon Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:41 pm
You can indeed use the copy sop for instancing, but you need to enable the "Packed Geo Instancing" option in the Octane OBJ spare parameter. Of course, you can also use the conventional Instance OBJ node, or the "instance" string point attribute pointing to the path of the object to be instanced.

Hope it helps,
-Juanjo
Attachments
2022-07-13 19_39_32-untitled.hip - Houdini FX 19.0.657 - Python 3.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby thanulee » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:01 pm

thanulee Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:01 pm
Thank you. Could you show me an example with instance node? never used it before. Cheers
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fantome » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:07 am

fantome Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:07 am
this cover it pretty well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZanEfWQ2NrQ

thanulee i don't want to be rude, but i have read many of your post on the forum, and basically you look to search for already made 100% working solutions to all your problems in houdini.
i am afraid that you will encounter a lot of frustration here, because this is not the way houdini works.

houdini is not c4d, you have to do your homework and accept the struggle inherent to the learning of such a complex app.
juanjo is coding all the houdini plugin by himself and on top of that spend a huge amount of time to help everybody, and he is doing a very good job if you compare to maya / unity / unreal etc ...

no the plugin is not perfect, no it is not on par with c4d right now in terms of feature. but juanjo start the dev at least 4 years after aoktar.

things are evolving in the right direction, and the plugin is really stable, it just lake some polish.
but you have to accept that to use octane in houdini you will have to do some homework, and that it WILL NOT be as fluent as in C4D.

if it's a pain in the ass for you , the best option is to export abc / vdb files from houdini then you create your own orbx proxies inside standalone, then you can easily load all your assets inside C4D with the import orbx proxies.
in standalone @pscale must be renamed @width it works with curves and points perfectly. you can read all your attributes in standalone throw vertex color and C4D understand perfectly alembic animation inside orbx proxies.

thus you create your assets in Houdini and Render in C4D.

Cheers
E
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thanulee » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:41 pm

thanulee Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:41 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the info. Well as I already mentioned I am in touch with many people from the industry, some of the top studios actually that I work with share the same views and therefore they don't even use octane in H anymore. This is not about me or my frustration, as i find always a way.

Now do I want to find a way in this mess? Nope. And as I am pointing out all the time wrong ui/ux decisions, these should be if not respected at least considered.

On the c4d note, every successful plugin copies from the successful integration in each dcc. Vray for max, octane for c4d etc.
There is no debate about what works better among users. Afaik already the c4d developer is helping rebuild the ipr in H if that says something to you. C4d things from scatter to noises, have already ported to standalone. This speaks for it self.

I know that my posts make people uncomfortable, but this forum is kinda dead actually as noone almost uses H octane in production.
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thanulee » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:49 pm

thanulee Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:49 pm
Also what is "ready solution"?

Not having exposed a single color in Dome light ? (which dome light doesnt even exist?)

That I have to dive into HDAs to expose parameters myself? I am not a developer. This H mentality that "we build our own stuff" is 1990.
We are not all TDs, we are lighting artists and we don't use Renderman, we use Octane for a reason.

When I repeat twice that exposure slider shouldnt be from 1-1000 and i dont even get a reply, what does that say to you?
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thanulee » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:57 pm

thanulee Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:57 pm
Lastly, as I dont intend to create some dialogue here, I understand houdini more than you think I do from my posts.

- When something is called "vertex attribute" and accepts "point attributes" is simply wrong UX and super confusing.
- When I have to promote prims to vertex so i get prim attributes
- When i use rppk maps to get attribs (whatever this is called).

Any of these make sense? Or is it something that I have to remember by heart?
We can remember some stuff, sure but here the majority is not logical.

Wrapping up, what about the manual? From whatever angle u go about H plugin, its a mess. Sorry.

My 2cents
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby fantome » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:09 pm

fantome Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:09 pm
thanulee wrote:I am in touch with many people from the industry, some of the top studios actually that I work with share the same views and therefore they don't even use octane in H anymore.

I am sorry but i do find your answer both arrogant and funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3YH00VSCro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tEfYvY3bAg
these are just 2 Music Videos done at my company all CG is fully render in octane+houdini i don't pretend that we are professionals but we do love octane and houdini.

The fact that you and your surrounding have an opinion, doesn't mean that this opinion is the truth, there are many good studios that use octane+houdini in production like MeltVFX guys for ex.
https://vimeo.com/252313372
Last edited by fantome on Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Houdini