Deformation Motion Blur

Forums: Deformation Motion Blur
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Deformation Motion Blur

Postby Sportler » Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:37 pm

Sportler Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:37 pm
Hey, I've read some old threads about limitations to deformation motion blur with Octane in Houdini. Are there any improvements to that as of now? I can't make it have more than 2 steps it seems when I animate geo with a transform node inside a SOP. Is it only really regular transformations on the object level that can have more steps? That seems like a huge limitation, especially in Houdini unless I've missed something.

Would love to clarify. Also, the animation I'm testing on now is imported from Alembic with 9 subframes so the data should be present. But I'm having the same result on other animated geo that is native to Houdini. Hopefully this can be resolved in the core or the plugin at some point since good motion blur is essential for the tasks I need to work on. Thanks! This is what it looks like versus what I want to have.

Deformation rotation:

Transform rotation:

Ideally I would like to specify so the deformation looks like the transformation. Is this possible / planned?
GPU: 1x Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti
RAM: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz
CPU: 5950x
Sportler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Deformation Motion Blur

Postby juanjgon » Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:36 am

juanjgon Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:36 am
I'm afraid that Octane doesn't support multiple steps deformation motion blur yet. To render curved trails on rotating objects you need to use object-level transformations.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: Deformation Motion Blur

Postby tigher » Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:32 pm

tigher Sat Jan 06, 2024 2:32 pm
Hello,

Are there plans to support multiple steps of deformation motion blur in Houdini? It would be great to have!

Is this feature available in octane standalone?

Tighe
tigher
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini