Instance Geo on particles

Forums: Instance Geo on particles
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: Instance Geo on particles

Postby thanulee » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:21 pm

thanulee Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:21 pm
Yes, just recently learned about it. But it struggles a lot with just 5m points. I scatter a cube and a sphere on them.
If anyone can take a look as i probably not doing this correct:

Scene file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/caxj77se0wqq6 ... hiplc?dl=0

Not sure if there is a better way, this way already has limits with attributes afaik.
Thanks
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mirocreative » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:49 pm

mirocreative Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:49 pm
thanulee wrote:Yes, just recently learned about it. But it struggles a lot with just 5m points. I scatter a cube and a sphere on them.
If anyone can take a look as i probably not doing this correct:

Scene file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/caxj77se0wqq6 ... hiplc?dl=0

Not sure if there is a better way, this way already has limits with attributes afaik.
Thanks

Not sure what the final concept is, but I guess you did the best you could, I'd do it pretty much the same way - we don't have too many options when it comes to instancing.

Time to first frame is slightly higher than usual due to the number of instances, but after that it's pretty quick to render and move around (roughly 10 secs to a full render). Tried a few other options as well, but neither came with a huge reduction in time to first frame.

- if you don't need the points inside the sphere, get rid of them and you could save quite a few millions of points - scatter 500k on the surface instead. Alternatively, just remove unnecessary points based on a distance threshold to each other
- try to cache out the points to save some time recalculating
- I'm not sure, but enabling "packed geo instancing" at object level without having an actual packed geo inside, might not do anything positive - @juanjgon might want to check in on that. FYI if you're using packed geos you won't be able to export the scene to ORBX.
mirocreative
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby thanulee » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:29 pm

thanulee Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:29 pm
Thank you. Yes packed shouldnt be enabled afaik, this was wrong on my end.

There is no purpose here its rnd, I was trying to replace objects in a 12m grain scene and it was extremely sluggish/slow to first frame. On top, every time i send scene back and forth to ipr, timing becomes worse and in the end I might crash. Like vram piling or something?
thanulee
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mirocreative » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:37 am

mirocreative Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:37 am
thanulee wrote:Thank you. Yes packed shouldnt be enabled afaik, this was wrong on my end.

There is no purpose here its rnd, I was trying to replace objects in a 12m grain scene and it was extremely sluggish/slow to first frame. On top, every time i send scene back and forth to ipr, timing becomes worse and in the end I might crash. Like vram piling or something?

I'm positive other render engines would struggle as well. I;m working with Arnold as well, if you're interested I could give it a try. VRAM might be an issue, I had a recent project with some velcro stuff and around 100 million points - that didn't go too well :lol:
mirocreative
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Houdini